Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about borders... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-borders-t210800.html)

SassySeamstress 01-12-2013 02:53 PM

Question about borders...

This is my first time sewing borders on a quilt. I am in the process of cutting my strips and had a question about seam allowances. Is a 1/4 inch seam allowance enough for border strips, including the outer border which gets sewn to binding?

As you can tell by my question, I am a beginner. I have started several quilt tops but have never gotten this far on a project. I wanted to make sure about my seam allowances before I waste my beautiful batik fabric. Thank you for your help! :)

~L

Peckish 01-12-2013 02:56 PM

Short answer - yep!

I use 1/4" seams on everything in quilting. Borders, binding, everything.. The only time I change that is when I make mini quilts, and even then I still sew them at 1/4", but I do trim them to 1/8" inch.

pumpkinpatchquilter 01-12-2013 03:15 PM

Yes! Are you following a pattern or creating your own? Just remember when quilting...all sides of your pieces once SEWN will lose 1/4" (and when you add binding, that will mean it's sewn). So if you are trying to figure the math on your own for your borders, just figure an additional half an inch PLUS the size you want it to be finished. Good luck!

Dina 01-12-2013 03:17 PM

I use 1/4 inch seams for everything. Glad to know I am doing it "right." Welcome to the board, by the way. This is a great place for a beginner, which I was when I joined three years ago. :) I loved how I always got my questions answered...and I still love that!

Dina

Prism99 01-12-2013 03:20 PM

1/4" seam is fine for borders. The only time I go to 1/2" is if I have to piece backing fabrics.

Are you aware of the need to measure through the middle of the quilt, cut borders to that length, then pin borders to edge before sewing? If you just sew a length of border onto the quilt, you have a good chance of sewing excess border fabric to the edge which results in a wavy quilt edge.

QuiltnNan 01-12-2013 03:30 PM

welcome to the Quilting Board and happy quilting

rush88888 01-12-2013 03:32 PM

just remember...if you are using triangles, when you are adding that 1/4" seam, you should be making sharp points on the triangles on the finished side. essentially, you need to watch the front side so that points, if any, will match as well as the 1/4" on the borders. maybe someone can explain it better than i can...

Michellesews 01-12-2013 03:45 PM

Before you sew on your borders, google how to sew on borders. You will be glad you did. Don't just cut a strip and sew it on an edge, your quilt will never be square and never lay flat. There are all sorts of good tutorials on the net...if one doesn't make sense, go to another. How you sew on the borders can make or break a quilt. Just my .02 worth...and yes...1/4 is right for borders.

Peckish 01-12-2013 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Michellesews (Post 5781603)
Before you sew on your borders, google how to sew on borders. You will be glad you did. Don't just cut a strip and sew it on an edge, your quilt will never be square and never lay flat.

Good point and I totally agree!!!

nativetexan 01-12-2013 03:49 PM

a border cut 6 1/2 inches will end up 6 inches finished. 1/4 to sew onto your quilt top and 1/4 to go under the binding. hope that helps.