Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about cutting diamonds (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-cutting-diamonds-t33093.html)

Pineapple Princess 01-03-2010 07:49 PM

I'm starting my first quilt made with diamonds and I have no clue as to how to go about cutting them. Since most (if not all) of you on the forum have way more experience then I, do you have any tips or instructions to help me? Should I use a template? Or a ruler? Thanks! :-D

amma 01-03-2010 07:54 PM

Personally I would use a ruler...I think you will get more accurate cuts.

MadQuilter 01-03-2010 08:37 PM

You can use a template or use a strip piecing method. Just remembrt that part of the diamond will be on the bias and I would recommend to limit the handling of these pieces. They stretch and distort easier than a straight cut.

Try a few pieces before cutting all of your stash.

I cut a Lone Star quilt and it is very important to keep checking the alignment of your ruler. Particularly on angles, the ruler can slip and mess up your diamond.

Go slow and deliberate and you will be OK.

littlehud 01-03-2010 10:08 PM

I agree. I used a ruler when I made my lonestar and it worked great.

SherriB 01-03-2010 11:06 PM

I am hoping to make a diamond quilt (eventually) and never thought about it being cut on the bias. Thanks for the reminder!! Would starching the fabric before hand help with the stretching?

Bobbinwinder 01-03-2010 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB
I am hoping to make a diamond quilt (eventually) and never thought about it being cut on the bias. Thanks for the reminder!! Would starching the fabric before hand help with the stretching?

Starch would help to stabilize the fabric, yes...but it doesn't insure against stretch...you just really need to be aware and handle with care when you're stitching...try not to have to rip out, of course, but should you need to...do it gently....try wearing a smile...it's hard to be angry with a smile on your face...LOL

Iluv2quilt 01-04-2010 05:42 AM

I use the strip method of cutting diamonds. Cut your strip the width of the diamond then use a ruler to cut the bias on an angle. I've heard good things about starching bias cuts.

Pineapple Princess 01-04-2010 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks everyone! I finally got it cut. In case you were wondering what I'm making...

Quilter7x 01-05-2010 10:24 AM

Looks like log cabin in the round, where one side of the strips is one width (red) and the other side is narrower (cream). The effect of this block is wonderful as you can create lots of designs from it. I did a heart using this method - I need to get that quilted so I can share a picture.

rb. 01-05-2010 12:38 PM

Pineapple Princess, I've drawn up a paper piecing pattern from Dunster's pink and lights snowflake looking quilt, for this block. Did you paper piece?

Would that help keep it from stretching, ladies?