Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question About Digital Copies of Quilting Magazines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-digital-copies-quilting-magazines-t214507.html)

AlienQuilter 02-22-2013 06:25 AM

Question About Digital Copies of Quilting Magazines

Is there a print option? I know when I buy the physical/paper magazine and can copy the pattern (for my own use) and mark it up with notes or cut out the pattern - especially the paper pieced patterns.

I know one of the advantages of digital is instant download and no mailing costs. What are some of the other advantages? Also, is it actually on our computer or are we just given access to it. I'm concerned with this part because so many of the companies are going out of business like Borders did.

katier825 02-22-2013 06:51 AM

You didn't specify which magazine you were interested in, but I have a print subscription of Quilter's World, which also allows me access to the digital subscription. I can download the magazine as a PDF to my computer. I searched the FAQs and they do specifically say you can download, but I didn't see anything about the printing. I would expect you would be able to print a copy for yourself since you have paid for it. They also have "web bonuses" which are often same pattern different sized quilts or templates that you can print.

You might try emailing customer service of whatever magazine you are interested in and asking them directly.

Advantages - you get it sooner, saves space, access to back issues.

AlienQuilter 02-22-2013 06:59 AM

Thank you Katie!

I was thinking of the Quilting Quickly Magazine.

gabeway 02-22-2013 07:17 AM

Almost all have the option to print.

Onebyone 02-22-2013 08:41 AM

I have several digital subscriptions for quilt magazines. I send the patterns I want to my Kindle Fire as a pdf file. I have the pattern easily accessible when I go fabric shopping or to have a copy handy when I'm sewing. I can save it as doc file and make notes or edit as I go.

Teeler 02-22-2013 09:38 AM

I ordered the Tradition with a Twist book earlier this week as a digital version. I love that I can chose to print just the few pages I need for a particular pattern, without the bulk of a whole book. But I do love hard-copy books, too, since "thumbing" through a physical book is (to me) easier than flipping through digital pages.

AlienQuilter 02-22-2013 10:01 AM

Thank you! Great info.

jcrow 02-22-2013 10:46 AM

I have 'Quilting Quickly' as a digital download. I can't print it just certain pages as it is like one long page. It rolls and rolls down. I also bought a hard copy to have. But I really don't think I can print a copy of it. It doesn't seem likely. It's not like 'Love of Quilting' where you flip the pages and can print certain pages. Sorry.

ktbb 02-22-2013 10:58 AM

I don't have any digital copies of magazines, but with most electronic documents, your computer should allow you to highlight the portion you want to print then print just that portion. It works on pdfs that I receive from other places. with the document on the screen, try right-clicking and see what your options are.

Sue1765 02-22-2013 11:55 AM

I have Quilting Quickly on my Ipad and can print whatever pages I want. Love these digital magazines -- don't have room for hard copies.