Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about hangng sleeves (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-hangng-sleeves-t10823.html)

Boston1954 09-02-2008 01:56 PM

Hope you don't think I am stupid for asking this but I have never put a hanging sleeve on any of my quilts and I was wondering if they can be added to a quilt that was made several years ago.

Thanks,
Anne

Moonpi 09-02-2008 02:02 PM

Sure, if you do it by hand, you can attach it to the back and batting and not disturb the front.

sspingler 09-04-2008 05:09 PM

Sure you can! You could stitch in the ditch of the binding to add the top then stitch the bottom by hand or do the whole thing by hand. You can also make tabs and add to it. Sew a button on the front and button holes on the ends of the tab.
I've always sewn my sleeves on as I was stitching on the binding.....kill 2 birds with one stone as it were.

thimblebug6000 09-04-2008 05:14 PM

I always put my sleeve on totally by hand once the quilt is complete, so can't see a problem with adding it to an older quilt. Most of my wallhangings I do a split sleeve. The middle measurement is 15" and then leave a space for the nails, and add the outside sections. This way I can put nails in the wall at 15" apart and inter change different size wallhangings without making new holes. I think I may have read about this on Ami Simms site, but not sure exactly.

thimblebug6000 09-04-2008 05:49 PM

hi Loretta, I only put sleeves on a quilt if they're going to be in the guild quilt show (which they require) otherwise, no I don't attach a sleeve to my quilts.

Quilting Aggi 09-05-2008 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
I read where you can add the sleeve at the same time you are sewing the binding. HUH? Do you all do this?

Loretta thats what I do.

I cut out the side of the rod pocket I want. I double the width as I will fold it over later for more support. I hem to two edges. I fold the piece in half wrong sides together and then take my two raw edges and sew them under the binding. I will slip stitch the fold afterward. Viola one rod pocket sewn with the binding :)

Quilting Aggi 09-05-2008 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
I know you put sleeves on wall hangings, but how many of you put them on quilts? Would it just be for a quilt made especially for hanging?

I have only put my rod pockets on wallhangings. I have never put one on a quilt yet.

Boston1954 09-05-2008 07:48 AM

I have not put any sleeves on before, but the reason I had asked was that I was considering putting one or two in a show and thought they would hang nicer. I wanted to make sure it would look right once it was sewn on.

Thanks for all the responses. I love to get info from people who know more than me (and that's just about everyone).

Anne

butterflywing 09-05-2008 08:04 AM

I PUT SLEEVES IN EVERY QUILT I MAKE THAT I WILL GIVE AS A GIFT. I'M SO VAIN THAT I THINK THERE'S A CHANCE THAT SOMEONE WOULD RATHER HANG IT THAN USE IT. IF I KNOW I WILL USE IT FOR MYSELF I LEAVE THE SLEEVE OFF. IF THERE IS A SLEEVE PEOPLE USE THEM AT THE FOOT END AND USE A TOP SHEET SO IT DOESN'T MATTER ANYWAY.

I WROTE THIS IN CAPS BY MISTAKE. HOW DO I CHANGE TO LOWER CASE NEXT TIME WITHOUT RETYPING?

thimblebug6000 09-05-2008 06:04 PM

Hi Boston, you might want to check with the show organizers, sometimes they have their own rules about the widths of sleeves etc. depending on what or how they are planning to hang the show.