Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about interfacing for t-shirt quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-interfacing-t-shirt-quilts-t215946.html)

CajunQuilter2 03-09-2013 06:36 PM

Question about interfacing for t-shirt quilts

I am going to make a t-shirt quilt and I read where they say to use non-woven but what I have is woven......I think that is how it goes.......whichever it is I have the opposite. Will it really make that much of a difference?

Scissor Queen 03-09-2013 06:57 PM

I use a knit fusible interfacing. The t-shirt stays soft and flexible.

soccertxi 03-09-2013 08:48 PM

I like the tricot (knit) fusible. It gives it a nice weight with out being heavy. BUT ...once you quilt it, the ONLY person who will know what fusible you used is...YOU! No Quilt Police are going to come and take your quilt apart, only to give you a citation of fusible non-compliance. :-D Try a piece of a knit and what ever you have and see which one you like better.

krafty14 03-10-2013 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5917617)
I use a knit fusible interfacing. The t-shirt stays soft and flexible.

I also use the knit fusible interfacing and it keeps the shirt soft and flexible and doesn't seem to add much weight to the shirt. I always make sure that the "stretch" in the interfacing goes in the opposite direction from the shirt. That shirt will not give in any direction while you are working with it. Ann

jhoward 03-10-2013 09:15 AM

It was suggested to use the ''cheapest" fusible interfacing available, by a longarmer. We went to Joann's found the cheap Pellon on a small bolt. It was fusible, very easy to use. It worked very well.

Pat M. 03-10-2013 01:50 PM

The stretch of the t shirt is around your body, figure out the stretch of the woven interfacing, usually selvage to selvage. One goes up and down and the other side to side. Make a big cross with the two pieces of fabric.

ckcowl 03-10-2013 01:58 PM

woven interfacing is fine to use...the difference in woven & non-woven is the fiber- woven is more like a fabric- non-woven is more like a soft paper- non-woven tears easily- woven does not-
you can use which ever one you have & want to use. (do check your iron setting- the woven *might* shrink a little with too much heat- you could use a press cloth to protect it) i tend to always use woven fusable interfacing- i just like to work with it better than the non-wovens. tricot is nice too- but if you already have the woven there is no reason to go buy something different

GrandmaPeggy 03-11-2013 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by jhoward (Post 5918897)
It was suggested to use the ''cheapest" fusible interfacing available, by a longarmer. We went to Joann's found the cheap Pellon on a small bolt. It was fusible, very easy to use. It worked very well.

I just finished two t-shirt quilts and I used the cheap stuff from Joann's too. The label says "Pellon, Sheerweight Fusible #906F, 100% Polyester". It only cost $2.49 per yd. and you will need lots of it, because you have so much waste. I went back 2 times for more. This one was thin and soft enough that you still had the t-shirt softness, but it had no more stretch. I recommend it.

Zappycat 04-03-2013 11:29 AM

I bought the tricot fusible for the quilt I am taking a class for next week...sheerweight... so I guess I should be OK! Looking forward to my class!