Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about Making Pillowcases with Directional Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-making-pillowcases-directional-fabric-t98477.html)

cmw0829 02-10-2011 09:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've seen many posts on this topic and understand the way to cut the directional fabric. However, one issue hasn't been addressed - perhaps I'm a little nuts to even think about it.

When using directional fabric, to which long edge of the fabric should the cuff be attached. I'm not sure it matters. But how the pattern will appear will depend on the way the pillow is laid on the bed. For example, since the right side of my son's bed is against a wall, I would lay the cuff to the left.

What do you think would be most predominant? I plan to donate the pillowcases to hospitals or shelters. Thanks a lot.

Cyn 02-10-2011 09:07 AM

Never thought of it before but since I turn my pillow all night maybe it doesn't really matter?

raptureready 02-10-2011 09:09 AM

I'd just make them without giving the direction any thought. If they're going on a hospital/shelter/twin bed the cuff can go on either side. You're making it way to hard for yourself, where ever they're donated to won't even care if the print is going sideways. They'll just be tickled to get them.

lynnie 02-10-2011 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I'd just make them without giving the direction any thought. If they're going on a hospital/shelter/twin bed the cuff can go on either side. You're making it way to hard for yourself, where ever they're donated to won't even care if the print is going sideways. They'll just be tickled to get them.

i agree

mom-6 02-10-2011 09:13 AM

The only time I would be concerned about directionality would be when doing matching pillowcases for a double/queen/king bed. On a twin bed it wouldn't matter to me, I'd just turn the pillow so it looked right after I made up the bed. When I'm asleep I don't care one way or the other!

amma 02-10-2011 09:15 AM

I don't think that it will matter :D:D:D

sewgull 02-10-2011 09:26 AM

Don't think it matters. Unless your are picky about these things.

cmw0829 02-10-2011 09:39 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I always make things too hard for myself. Read too much into instructions, etc., etc., etc. And then wonder why things take so long. :roll:

I'll just do it the way *I* like it then, cuff on the left.

Thanks again.

quilting cat 02-10-2011 12:08 PM

What about the pattern facing the cuff? (Right side up from the cuff end is the way mine are!)

cmw0829 02-11-2011 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by quilting cat
What about the pattern facing the cuff? (Right side up from the cuff end is the way mine are!)

Hi quilting cat - I was told that when the pillow is on the bed, in its normal position, that the top of the pattern should be at the head of the bed and the bottom of the patter facing the foot of the bed.

I do think it can be done however anybody wants to do it. :)