Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about printers. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-printers-t201658.html)

MrsM 09-27-2012 08:14 AM

Question about printers.

I have printed photo's on fabric before with great results. To make a long story short I need a new printer and wondered if any of you can recomend a printer for this purpose. Thanks.

rush88888 09-27-2012 10:13 AM

printers and their reviews are as complicated as recommending sewing machines. your best bet is to find one you can afford and it will probably do the job. talk with the sales representative. i have found best buy to have the most informed staff. bring the fabric package with you so that they can advise you. that said, i think that the package says to use an ink rather than toner.

mary quilting 09-27-2012 11:08 AM

I have an hp it dose good But a lot of arts and crafter's like Epson because of the ink

Joset 09-27-2012 01:48 PM

get an ink jet one. we needed a new one at christmas and we just bought
a regular one. now making a quilt i wish i could do some pictures and put
them on quilt. but of course i didnt think we needed an ink jet one lol

quilter1943 09-27-2012 03:19 PM

We have two HP printers - one an expensive one that will fax, whatever and one is a $50 one from WalMart. There isn't much difference between them when I print on fabric. The cheap one is much easier to set up and the ink is a lot less expensive. Depends on what else you want to do with it, I guess.

LadyElisabeth 09-27-2012 04:06 PM

I have used HP's and Epsons. I now print on fabric ONLY with an Epson printer with Durabrite ink. Fabric is washable, soft, has clear colors and hasn't faded. Doesn't have to be heat set but I usually press the quilt tops.

nativetexan 09-27-2012 04:46 PM

yep, ink jet, not a laser print one for printing on fabrics.

Silver Needle 09-27-2012 05:54 PM

Epson inkjet with the highest quality dpi (dots per inch you can afford). We keep our Epson inkjet scanner/printer for photos. Just purchased a laser for everything else.

QuiltnLady1 09-27-2012 06:43 PM

I guess the Epson's have improved -- I got one several years ago and Printed Treasures jammed so bad I took it back and got an HP. When I was shopping for an HP, I called HP customer service and asked them which ones worked best with fabric. I wound up getting an all-in-one and I am happy with it. You do need to make sure it is an inkjet -- laser burns the image in and that is not a good thing with fabric.

ploverwi2 09-27-2012 08:47 PM

I love my $50.00 on sale Canon printer from WalMart. It makes the most beautiful prints. I take muslin, iron freezer paper to one side, cut it to the regular paper size, run it through my printer, and it turns out awesome. You could use any fabric and iron on the freezer paper. I have done this for years. It is a neat way to make photo memory quilts.