Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about quilt stitches (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-quilt-stitches-t163691.html)

ckcowl 10-27-2011 11:50 AM

even if you used invisible thread your quilting would show- that is part of the quilting---the only thing to be concerned about is consistancy===as in the stitches should be as even- same size=as possible.
and it's supposed to be an enjoyable hobby--- no point in (sweating the small stuff) even if your stitches don't start out all that even- that's no reason to be undoing- you can only strive to do better as you get more experience.

barny 10-27-2011 12:48 PM

I have hand quilted some and yes the quilting is supposed to show. I'll bet you are good too. Just get going and enjoy.

quiltin chris 10-27-2011 12:58 PM

Of course your stitches are going to show--some. Depending on what size you make them.

What is taught now is that it is not the size of your stitches that matter it is the consistent size of your stitches that matter. Because stitches that are a different size will not be pretty!!

Just keep going at it and be glad you can do as good as you do.

Chris

Vivian Ketron 10-27-2011 01:16 PM

Hello and welcome to the board from MO.

ManiacQuilter2 10-27-2011 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma58
No matter how you are quilting, by hand or machine the thread will show- that is the point. The question is do you want the thread to stand out or blend with the fabric?

I couldn't have said it better. Sometimes you want the quilting to show and other times, you want it to blend in with the fabrics. That is why invisible thread was invented. Please don't be so hard on yourself. There is no reason to berate yourself. Leave that to the quilters who compete in quilt shows!! Post a picture and maybe we can give you additional advice.

SANDY COWAN 10-27-2011 01:56 PM

Well, thats good to know. My stitches are consistant. I was thinking I remembered the stitches needed to be near invisable and very close together as in near touching one another with a slight pucher between each. Thats the way I used to hand quiilt but these old eyes arent what they used to be,even with readers on.. Thanks for the inspiration. Its nice to be amoung the pros! You guys are good!

SANDY COWAN 10-27-2011 02:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This is my quilt I'm working on. Told you it was nothing fancy but I do love the colors.

This is just the top. I've already started quilting it. its full size. With a 10" over hang.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]278016[/ATTACH]

running1 10-27-2011 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by SANDY COWAN
My dots are more like little short lines maybe 1/16" long each and spaced about the same distance apart.

Sounds wonderful to me!! Welcome back to quilting!! Enjoy!!!

Whoaa.... just saw your beautiful quilt!! Great job...

SANDY COWAN 10-27-2011 03:04 PM

Thank you so much Running. I truly appreciate the compliment and thank you for the welcome mat too!

Wingsofjoy 10-27-2011 03:09 PM

I want a little of my thread to show. I am working on a small quilt for my Daughter-in-law. She wants the stitches to be big on it. I guess it depends on the person and what they like.