Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about seam ripper (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-seam-ripper-t34559.html)

Quiltsbybarb 01-22-2010 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltmaniac
I splurged on a Gingher about a year ago (love their scissors) but I don't care for the seam ripper (all right, I hate it!).

It's heavy, the blade is thick, the "point" isn't pointed enough and although I'm right handed I would like to be able to use it the other way up, but with the contoured handle there's no choice!

Sorry, Gingher - but keep the scissors coming!

I also love their scissors, the little black ones. I have them all over my sewing area and keep one in the pocket of my quilting apron. They also sharpen up nice.

nanna 01-22-2010 07:30 PM

love my ginger seam ripper for ripping out seams, but for picking out stitches nothing tops the little cheap blue seam rippers. They should be called "stitch pickers". We need both for the different jobs.

Elizabeth-Liz 01-22-2010 07:56 PM

I us an x-acto blade. It works great and I can change the blades when it gets dull.

Mousie 01-22-2010 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltsbybarb
There is a surgical seam ripper out there that comes with replacement blades. I love them and have sold A LOT of them at my quilt retreats. I have everybody hooked on them. They cost more up front but I think are well worth the extra cost.

do tell, quiltsbybarb!
what name do they go by? I have been eyeing one, but I really like the idea of changing the blades.
Oh, I seem to be in a spendy mood this evening...:oops:
(I think it's spend a lot or eat a lot...trying to cut back on eating :roll: )
well, we quilters do need treats, don't we? :wink:

Suse 01-22-2010 10:05 PM

Okay, after reading this thread, I went and bought a new one today. Thanks everyone. Susette 8-)

Quiltsbybarb 01-23-2010 09:39 AM

The ones I usuallu purchases are Seam Ripper Ultra Pro by Havels and they come with 5 blades. I have two on hand right now that are made by Famore, kind of a generic of Havel, and they have three blades instead of 5.

The Havels retail for $9.95 and these sell for $7.50. If you are interested, message me privately. I will ship you one of the Famore's for $7.50 plus $1.50 for postage.

Barb

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy

Originally Posted by Quiltsbybarb
There is a surgical seam ripper out there that comes with replacement blades. I love them and have sold A LOT of them at my quilt retreats. I have everybody hooked on them. They cost more up front but I think are well worth the extra cost.

do tell, quiltsbybarb!
what name do they go by? I have been eyeing one, but I really like the idea of changing the blades.
Oh, I seem to be in a spendy mood this evening...:oops:
(I think it's spend a lot or eat a lot...trying to cut back on eating :roll: )
well, we quilters do need treats, don't we? :wink:

Sparky 01-23-2010 04:04 PM

Thanks. Yes I did. It will be part of new book ReNea Merrill is publishing on mandals.