Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question About Tying a Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-tying-quilt-t207967.html)

maminstl 12-09-2012 05:06 AM

I have never tied a quilt, but an idea did pop into my head while reading through this - instead of buttons, you could use some of those cute felted cut out things they sell (with the buttons in my local fabric store) Just sew through them like a button. Would give it some interest that should be safe for babies, and I think would also make it very secure.

patchsamkim 12-09-2012 05:10 AM

You can leave the ties as long as you like them...whatever looks good to you. The last one we tied we left the ties about 1"...the shorter they are the more likely they could come untied easier. When I have given a quilt that is tied, I always give a "repair" kit...extra yarn/etc to tie with and a needle. That way it can be fixed right away.

Daylesewblessed 12-09-2012 05:13 AM

My ties are about 3/4", but I see many tied quilts with much longer ends (not appealing to me, especially if not cut to even lengths). I tie with the poke method, so that there is very little distance for the thread on the back side. There is no way a tooth, toe, or anything else could get caught on either the front or back side. However, I have seen many loosely tied quilts come in for Project Linus, so loose that you could insert a pencil beween the tie and the quilt -- not good. As for embellishments of buttons and such, I leave those for wall quilts. Certainly for children they are a hazard, but even for adults they can be uncomfortable.

Enjoy tying, and be sure to follow batting instructions for distance between ties.

Dayle

mountain-moma 12-09-2012 11:49 AM

Mic-Pa,Can you Please tell me what is Bar-Tack?

GrannieAnnie 12-13-2012 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by mountain-moma (Post 5708572)
Mic-Pa,Can you Please tell me what is Bar-Tack?

Not Mic-pa, but good example of a bar tack is the heavy zig-zag in one place "bar tack" on jeans back pocket. Quite simple to do---------set zig-zag to widest size and stitch length to 0. Makes a heavy stitch that takes a lot of stress.

Milli 12-13-2012 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by humbird (Post 5707110)
I usually use embrocery floss or pearl cotton. I leave the ties about 3/4 in. to 1/2 in. There will be some fraying which I personally like. Some people use yarn to tie with. I am not fond of yarn, because it seems to ball up when washed. However, it most likely will never come untied! Be sure to use a square knot.

Same as humbird.

QuiltingByCourtney 12-13-2012 01:24 PM

I tied my 1st baby quilt too. Mine was only about 32"x28"....I used yarn that was colorful and fun and matched with my blanket...I threaded the yarn on one of those needles with the big eye and are like 2inches long I dont know the name of them but yeah then I just poked from the top down then up again and tied a knot...I left the tassels about 1/2" long...its still together after many many washes :) best of luck...

hevemi 12-14-2012 10:24 PM

NO buttons on a baby quilt, NEVER,they can get loose and even choke a child.

quiltingcandy 12-14-2012 10:37 PM

When I tie a quilt I pinch the ties very close to the quilt and trim above my fingers. That way the ties are the same length. And sometimes I will put a very small drop of fray check on it to keep it tied. Baby quilts are best quilted - but I have tied them and no baby has been injured. And I have used yarn and embroidery floss - it depends on colors and what I have on hand.