Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question About Tying a Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-tying-quilt-t207967.html)

Tropical 12-08-2012 06:14 PM

Question About Tying a Quilt

I want to tie one of my baby quilts. Since this will be the first time I will attempt this technique, I want to ask - How long do I leave the threads on the front of the quilt? Also, will the ends of the thread fray? I have never seen a tied quilt so I can't use one as an example. I have a book by Alex Anderson with short directions about the technique, but the length of the finished threads is not covered.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I really want to try this so I can sit with my husband while he watches tv in the evenings. Besides, I love hand sewing. Thank You for your ideas ahead of time. :):):)

Lorrie

humbird 12-08-2012 06:53 PM

I usually use embrocery floss or pearl cotton. I leave the ties about 3/4 in. to 1/2 in. There will be some fraying which I personally like. Some people use yarn to tie with. I am not fond of yarn, because it seems to ball up when washed. However, it most likely will never come untied! Be sure to use a square knot.

COYOTEMAGIC 12-08-2012 08:13 PM

What Humbird said. :thumbup: For adult or older children, I sometimes use decorative buttons as part of the tying process. I can't find any pictures right now but I used ladybugs on a RedHat quilt for my Ma, Shell buttons on a quilt for me, and colored buttons for the centers of flowered applique.

GrannieAnnie 12-08-2012 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tropical (Post 5707041)
I want to tie one of my baby quilts. Since this will be the first time I will attempt this technique, I want to ask - How long do I leave the threads on the front of the quilt? Also, will the ends of the thread fray? I have never seen a tied quilt so I can't use one as an example. I have a book by Alex Anderson with short directions about the technique, but the length of the finished threads is not covered.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I really want to try this so I can sit with my husband while he watches tv in the evenings. Besides, I love hand sewing. Thank You for your ideas ahead of time. :):):)

Lorrie

I use embrodery floss, perle cotton or not too heavy crochet cotton. I use a square knot then one extra knot, and leave tails of about an inch.

Personally I don't care if the thread frays. I've got good knots in and that's what counts as far as I'm concerned.

vanginney 12-08-2012 09:25 PM

I would not tie a baby quilt. My daughter caught a baby tooth on one of the ties - found her standing in her crib with the blanket caught to her face. It might have been a freak accident but since then, all baby quilts I make are free of any embelishments that could hook.

Tropical 12-08-2012 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by vanginney (Post 5707321)
I would not tie a baby quilt. My daughter caught a baby tooth on one of the ties - found her standing in her crib with the blanket caught to her face. It might have been a freak accident but since then, all baby quilts I make are free of any embelishments that could hook.

Vanginney, I am so happy you told me that. I wouldn't want anything to happen to a baby. I will try this technique on a larger lap quilt. You sure did save me. Since I make my baby quilts for donations, I would worry like crazy if I went ahead and tied one. Worry is practically my middle name.

Humbird, Coyotemagic and GrannieAnnie thank you for your responses. I will be using perle cotton because I like it much better than embroidery floss. The floss always knots so easily even though I use lengths no longer than 18 inches. I do most of my embroidery with it now. I think it would be a good idea to try both the 3/4 and the 1/2 inch lengths to see which I like better. The idea about using buttons for embellishment sounds great. I love buttons. I can't wait to get started and I won't even worry about the thread fraying since it might enhance the finished look of the quilt. Thanks to all of you. :):):)

mamagrande 12-08-2012 10:23 PM

A tied Baby comforter should not have a way that it would hang on anything because the knots should be tied very close to the fabric. I work at a Mennonite place where they made tied comforter for sale. They used crochet thread, double strand, double square knots and cut at just over one finger (about 1/2 inch). They don't fray to much but I have one that was made about 20 years ago and it's still together and used...

vanginney 12-08-2012 10:41 PM

She was 2 - it was a yarn tie. Maybe another material would work better, or it was a lose tie. She was fine. Startled both of us, but I did give the quilt to the dogs after that :)

GrannieAnnie 12-08-2012 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by vanginney (Post 5707433)
She was 2 - it was a yarn tie. Maybe another material would work better, or it was a lose tie. She was fine. Startled both of us, but I did give the quilt to the dogs after that :)

I'd blame it on the yarn, not on the ties themselves.

mic-pa 12-09-2012 04:58 AM

I have bar-tacked small quilts and like that effect, plan on doing one this week. Its quick to do