Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about using stencils to machine quilt. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-using-stencils-machine-quilt-t163493.html)

Margie 10-26-2011 02:54 PM

I just bought two plastic stencils from Joann's to try quilting on borders. They are small, you just keep tracing them down the border.

Since I have never used them before, I was wondering, after tracing them on the fabric, do you use a walking foot and follow the lines, or do you free motion following the lines...my other option is (I have a Bernina 830), it also has an option that Pfaffs have that comes down and moves the upper layer of fabric...forget what it is called(sort of a built in walking foot).

TY for any input.

bluteddi 10-26-2011 02:59 PM

I dont' know... but I assume u would just FMQ the lines...

give it a few minutes.. someone will have the correct answer for u.....

fabric_fancy 10-26-2011 03:03 PM

i prefer to FMQ over using a walking foot but it really just a personal choice and go with what suits you best.

QuiltnNan 10-26-2011 03:04 PM

my first thought was the walking foot. however, they mostly go in a straight line. if your stencil is a gentle curve, then you can probably do that. i'm not good at stitch length for fmq. so i'd probably use a regular foot and lessen the pressure foot a little.

patchsamkim 10-26-2011 03:17 PM

I would do free motion quilting...unless it is a very simple design, it would be quite difficult to maneuver the quilt using a walking foot.

thimblebug6000 10-26-2011 03:30 PM

Basic lines on your stencil and you could use your walking foot, but if you're crossing over like in a cable you might find you get puckers. I'd probably try the FMQ if it was me.

Jan in VA 10-26-2011 03:30 PM

I have done many stenciled designs with my walking foot.....IF they are not too curvy or complicated. I prefer the end result over the FMQ for myself.

And yes, you can do it easily with a walking foot, but not fast. You'll make a needle down position, pivot slightly, stitch until you need to needle down and pivot again. I always remind myself that machine quilting is faster than handquilting, but not nearly as fast as LA quilting. It's okay to take more than a day or two, (or three!) to get it done well. :D

Jan in VA

RUSewing 10-26-2011 03:31 PM

With a gentle curve, first, I'd try a walking foot. If that doesn't work, then freemotion quilting.

--> Be sure to practice the exact design on a sample; don't want to mess up the quilt!

ManiacQuilter2 10-26-2011 03:32 PM

I have a Bernina 1530. You need your free motion foot if there are curves. If it is straight stitching, use the walking foot. If you haven't done free motion before, I suggest you make a practice quilt with some NEVER to be used fabric with batting in between. Mark your design on it with any type of marker and give it a try. Cheater panels are also a good practice tool. You want your stitches to be constantly the same length. Always keep your eye on where you want to go next. When riding a bike, you don't look in front of the front tire but down the road. As with anything, practice will help. GOOD LUCK !!! :lol:

Holice 10-26-2011 04:36 PM

it would be helpful to see the stencil design Some can be done with walking foot and others not. So a pic is worth now many words?