Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about washing... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-washing-t42110.html)

brookemarie19 04-08-2010 08:40 AM

Ok, so I'm going to make this quilt that uses both jelly rolls and yardage and I was wondering if or even how to wash.
I've read on here not to wash jellyrolls because of unraveling, but then does that mean not to wash the other also... or if I do wash the yardage, will the quilt mess up when I wash and the strips shrink once its all together........... :roll:
I'm just totally confused and to anyone who can help, it would be REALLY appreciated
Brooke

Rebecca VLQ 04-08-2010 09:14 AM

That is a very good question! I have wondered the same thing!

sewcrafty 04-08-2010 09:15 AM

I wash all of my material. With the jelly rolls you can either, put them in the sink and hand wash them or I'd put them in a lingerie bag and put in the washing machine with the other yardage.

I wouldn't wash one and not the other though. For me it would be an all or nothing deal.

justwannaquilt 04-08-2010 09:39 AM

wash in cold, line/air dry and you won't deal with shrinkage!

ETA: You can do this to the finished quilt if you don't wash any of the fabrics! or if you only wash a portion of the fabric!

brookemarie19 04-08-2010 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
wash in cold, line/air dry and you won't deal with shrinkage!

Is that after its all put together, or before... sorry to be a pain just want to be sure before I start

justwannaquilt 04-08-2010 09:45 AM

I edited my post! not being a pain I should have said that to begin with!

brookemarie19 04-08-2010 09:48 AM

Ok, I will do that then. I wash everything in cold water because I use coldwater tide, so that won't be hard to remember.. I'll just have to remember to hang dry. Thanks again!!

Prism99 04-08-2010 10:41 AM

I don't prewash fabrics. I do test anything I suspect might not be colorfast by placing in water to see if it bleeds, then rubbing against a white fabric to make sure the dye doesn't crock.

As long as there is a reasonable amount of quilting, there should be no problem with distortions due to shrinking. I like an old-fashioned crinkled look to my quilts anyway, so I use (unwashed) 100% cotton as the batting. Everything shrinks together to create that soft, antique look.

I always wash my quilt with Synthrapol the first time in case something bleeds. Synthrapol suspends unset dye particles in water so they rinse away instead of settling into other fabrics. Synthrapol is widely available in quilt shops and online; Amazon has it now.

Minda 04-08-2010 11:23 AM

My first choice would be not to wash jelly rolls and I also would not wash the yardage I used with them.

If I did wash them, I would wash them gently in the sink and lay them flat to dry.

Whatever you do, be consistent. Either wash everything, or wash nothing. :-)

brookemarie19 04-08-2010 04:25 PM

Thanks so much for all the inputs... Im not going to wash and just hope for the best. Thanks again... now to get all my fabric together.....