Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for anyone who has made a rag quilt with Accuquilt Rag Die? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-anyone-who-has-made-rag-quilt-accuquilt-rag-die-t205092.html)

DonnaC 11-04-2012 01:45 PM

Question for anyone who has made a rag quilt with Accuquilt Rag Die?

Hey folks! I know there are a few people here who have made rag quilts using the AccuQuilt dies.

My question - how do you handle the "corners" when you are sewing the rows together? Do you just shove some of the "raggies" to each side and try to sew a straight line where the corners come together? I just made a sample piece and that's what I did, but I'm wondering if there's more of a science to it (LOL). I'm making my quilts with an assortment of fabrics for the top (raggy) side, a mixture of poly and cotton. For the back I'm using fleece squares, and I do have batting squares sandwiched in between as well.

Any info is helpful...thanks!

Barbara Antman 11-04-2012 01:49 PM

I am in the process of making one now, my second such quilt. I just make sure all the little cuts run the same way and sew through. This gives a little more "ragginess" to fill in the corners. They are great!

Judylee2 11-04-2012 02:13 PM

I am just now finishing my queen raggy quilt made of flannel. I used the Accuquilt for the flannel squares and found that it was a little difficult cutting through 2 layers at a time. I haven't tried it on homespun or cotton yet. The quilt looks really nice though!

Candace 11-04-2012 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaC (Post 5634776)
Hey folks! I know there are a few people here who have made rag quilts using the AccuQuilt dies.

My question - how do you handle the "corners" when you are sewing the rows together? Do you just shove some of the "raggies" to each side and try to sew a straight line where the corners come together? I just made a sample piece and that's what I did, but I'm wondering if there's more of a science to it (LOL). I'm making my quilts with an assortment of fabrics for the top (raggy) side, a mixture of poly and cotton. For the back I'm using fleece squares, and I do have batting squares sandwiched in between as well.

Any info is helpful...thanks!

Pretty much. Just make sure they don't get caught up in the seam allowance. I usually cut the corners a bit so they don't look like 'blocks' in the final product.

DonnaC 11-04-2012 04:10 PM

My Sample!

2 Attachment(s)
Okay, here are a couple of pictures of my little sample. Please, don't judge me on the sewing...LOL... I literally threw this together very quickly, because I needed to see how the fabrics "played" together and wanted to also see what happened after it was washed and dried. The second picture shows a close-up of the center.

The backstory on this project is that my Mom passed away earlier this year, and I am making rag quilts for her three remaining sisters out of all of Mom's clothes. So, there are many different fabrics in the mix, from denim to lightweight knits, polyesters, and even one piece that's a linen-like fabric. The sample piece is made out of one of each of the fabrics I have to work with. Like I said before, I will be using fleece for the back of each square. I actually think the sample came out great (let me know your opinions too!). I'm thinking that the one fabric I will not use is the green stripe on the left side, second from the bottom. It's an extremely lightweight knit fabric and it curls a lot, so it's difficult to sew, and I think it's going to be a nuisance. I have plenty of other fabrics to use.

Barbara Antman 11-05-2012 06:56 AM

Beautiful and meaningful! Great Job!

3TreeFrog 11-05-2012 09:43 AM

I would have to say that you did a fantastic job and it's a fantastic idea. If I was one of the remaining sisters, I would be thrilled to tears!
TreeFrog

DonnaR 11-05-2012 01:22 PM

I am so sorry about your mom passing. I know it is difficult but I made a quilt out of my moms clothes and it helped me grieve.

DonnaC 11-05-2012 08:13 PM

Well, thanks guys! I will be sure to post photos of the three completed quilts. They will be a little more "designed" than the randomness of my little sample piece. I'm sure my aunts will love them, no matter what they look like.

BETTY62 11-05-2012 08:17 PM

Wow. Your quilt looks great. I love it.