Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A question for hand quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-hand-quilters-t104855.html)

pieces 03-04-2011 05:09 AM

I will start by saying, I am not a hand quilter.
I hand stitch my quilt bindings by hand, thats about it.
I send my quilts to a LAQ that does custom quilting.
She does great work and I'm always pleased
when I pick up my quilts.
I received a hand quilted quilt, 80% finished(12 blocks are done)
The four borders need to be hand quilted. The borders are cut 13 inches wide, and the quilter was using a 10 inch hoop. (which I received)
My question to the hand quilters here is-
Is it absolutely necessary to use a hoop?
I feel I could make better stitches if I didn't use a hoop.
She has 4 rows of basting running the length of the border.
Can I add more basting stitches and hand quilt these borders
without using a hoop? Is it absolutely necessary to use a hoop?
Would be glad to receive any advice on this topic from experienced hand quilters. Thank you.

Hinterland 03-04-2011 05:19 AM

So long as the quilt is well basted, you don't need a hoop. There are many really great hand quilters who never use a hoop or frame.

Have fun!

Janet

Stitchnripper 03-04-2011 05:22 AM

I hand quilt with a hoop, but tried a round frame, a big hoop and finally settled on a smaller round hoop. So, my suggestion is to try several different ways until you find the one most comfortable to you, hoop or no hoop.

MTS 03-04-2011 05:23 AM

If it were me, I'd send it to the LAQ-er to finish it. :wink: :wink:

TeriD 03-04-2011 05:25 AM

I've never used a hoop. Like you, I think my stiches are actually better without using the hoop. Like everything else in quilting, you should just do whatever makes it the most enjoyable!

sew_sew 03-04-2011 05:34 AM

The woman who first got me interested in quilting, years ago, hand quilted without a hoop (even queen and king sized) not only that she brought them to work to work on during lunch. Can you imagine dragging something that big back and forth to work, lunch and breaks. As she worked she would often explain what she was doing and why. Wish I could remember her name, I'd look her up. (i'm retired now)

alderdweller 03-04-2011 07:26 AM

Admittedly I don't have much experience. I am almost through with my first hand quilting experience.
I bought a hoop and used it for about 5 minutes. Took it out and had much better luck without it.
I guess it's an individual thing...so whatever feels comfy for you!

sall 03-04-2011 07:48 AM

TRy both ways. Personally I make a real pigs ear if I do not use a hoop, but I have a friend who does the most beautiful work but cannot use a hoop. So it is trial and error. Do what suits you best, but try both ways.

quiltinggrandmaca 03-04-2011 07:55 AM

Just do what you feel comfortable with. If it doesn't turn out the first time, you can always try again.

adyldrop 03-04-2011 08:02 AM

i only hand quilt and i don't use a hoop or frame--i find better control without.