Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for hand quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-hand-quilters-t214125.html)

Pat625 02-18-2013 06:56 AM

I have started in the middle and worked both in rows and circles..THere have been times that I have alos worked from one end of the quilt to the other

running1 02-18-2013 07:27 AM

Even though I'm quilting just my first quilt, I started in the middle and worked outward from there... I did the middle row horizontally, then the middle row vertically and then outward in each quadrant... I had thread basted the quilt before beginning... It seems to have helped me smooth potential puckers...

Have fun quilting!!!

isewman 02-18-2013 11:05 AM

I agree with everyone's ideals(comments). I start in the middle, and go to the left or right. More or less in a circular form of quilting.. Don-isewman

mpspeedy2 02-18-2013 11:39 AM

In my more than 40 years of handquilting I usually start in the middle and work out. It seems to work the best no matter what kind of frame or hoop you are using.

Ranchwife 02-18-2013 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by running1 (Post 5869904)
Even though I'm quilting just my first quilt, I started in the middle and worked outward from there... I did the middle row horizontally, then the middle row vertically and then outward in each quadrant... I had thread basted the quilt before beginning... It seems to have helped me smooth potential puckers...

This is exactly what I do. I quilt in a hoop and start in the middle. I make sure the fabric is pulled tight before I start stitching. I have never had any puckers quilting this way and the quilt turns out nice and flat.

hsquiltingmom 02-18-2013 05:14 PM

I have done it several ways. I have on of the grace frames, and when I use that I start from the edge. When I set up a big floor frame, that takes up a full room, I start on the edge with that as well. If I am working in a hoop, then I start in the middle. For the quilts that I do in a hoop, when I sandwich the quilt, I use the basting spray, get everything really smooth and then I put pins in it. This is because it may get moved from room to room.

AZ Jane 02-18-2013 05:27 PM

I start in the middle and work outward. That way it seems to be getting smaller and I "Feel" like it goes faster. Did that even make sense? LOL

monkicat 02-19-2013 12:54 AM

At the moment I'm working in a standing hoop, quilting the Baptist Fan pattern. Because of the narure of this pattern I started in the lower right hand corner of the quilt, working across the quilt, row by row. In order to prevent puckering, I was more careful to baste the quilt more than I normally would. So far, so good!
It makes very good sense to begin your quilting in the middle of the quilt, but sometimes, depending on your quilt design, you may need to prepare your quilt differently so you can still get the best result.

honeybee_2000 02-19-2013 07:13 AM

I use a lap hoop frame and quilt each block from middle out as I go.

janedee 02-19-2013 07:37 AM

I hand quilt with no frame or hoop and I always start in the middle, and then sometimes go around in circles working my way our or sometimes to one side and then the other, depends on the pattern I am quilting