Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question for hand quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-hand-quilters-t45779.html)

Joeysnana 05-13-2010 02:03 PM

The stitches on the underside of my quilts are always shorter than the stitches on the top of the quilt. I use a rocking motion and load 4 stitches onto the needle and usually get 8 to 10 stitches to the inch. How do you get the stitches on the back of the quilt to be the same length as the stitches on the front? Any suggestions? TIA

sewcrafty 05-13-2010 02:19 PM

Practice, practice, practice!!! One thing that I used when I first started quilting was tiger tape. It helps in getting used to when to go down and when to come up. I found it very useful.

Joeysnana 05-13-2010 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Practice, practice, practice!!! One thing that I used when I first started quilting was tiger tape. It helps in getting used to when to go down and when to come up. I found it very useful.

What is tiger tape?

kayquilt 05-13-2010 02:27 PM

She's right about the practice, practice, practice. I also found out that if I am able to make really small stitches on the front then the little stitches on the back even it out. I have found that if I use really thin batting that this makes it easier. A small needle makes it easier too. I usually use either a size 11 or 12. Recently while quilting with a group of ladies, one of them was in need in of a needle. I gave her one of mine and she was amazed at how much easier it was to use instead of the larger size she had been using.

Joeysnana 05-13-2010 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by kayquilt
She's right about the practice, practice, practice. I also found out that if I am able to make really small stitches on the front then the little stitches on the back even it out. I have found that if I use really thin batting that this makes it easier. A small needle makes it easier too. I usually use either a size 11 or 12. Recently while quilting with a group of ladies, one of them was in need in of a needle. I gave her one of mine and she was amazed at how much easier it was to use instead of the larger size she had been using.

I have always used a 10 needle. I think I will give an 11 or a 12 a try. Thanks!

kayquilt 05-13-2010 02:41 PM

This small size was a challenge at first, but after I used it for awhile it got easier. Good luck!!

roseOfsharon 05-13-2010 02:45 PM

I have not tried hand quilting , something I would like to do on a small piece. What is Tiger Tape? Please pm the answer so I will get it. :) Thanks Sharon

sueisallaboutquilts 05-13-2010 02:46 PM

Ditto all the above comments. I use a 10 or 12 also. And practice helps a lot. I love to hand quilt. It is my favorite part of the quilt process. Very relaxing for me :) Good luck!

maryb119 05-13-2010 02:49 PM

Practice is the best way to get them the same. It took a long time for my stitches to be even.

feline fanatic 05-13-2010 03:54 PM

I don't strive for perfection on the back. I usually have some kind of patterned fabric on the back so stitches don't show as much. What I am looking for is the texture and a kind of shadowing of the design. I know I certainly won't have a show quilt with this attitude but I don't quilt for awards I quilt to make me happy. If it looks good on the front I am happy.