Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question on hand quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-hand-quilting-t81208.html)

Vanuatu Jill 12-07-2010 09:21 AM

Ditto for me-I think it is stunning and would highly recommend you do it yourself. Beginning hand-quilters aren't expected to make perfect tiny stitches as long as your stitches are fairly the same size, it should be beautiful. I have hand quilted for years, and when I look at my first quilt, the stitches were much larger than I do now, but they were FAIRLY close to the same. Try practicing on scraps for a while-make sure you have the correct hand-quiting thread and between needle, and when you feel confident, start your redwork. You'll be much happier and really proud knowing you did the whole thing yourself. There are pleanty of books on hand-quilting if you don't have someone near to get you started. Good luck!!

sewingladydi 12-07-2010 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
Ditto for me-I think it is stunning and would highly recommend you do it yourself. Beginning hand-quilters aren't expected to make perfect tiny stitches as long as your stitches are fairly the same size, it should be beautiful. I have hand quilted for years, and when I look at my first quilt, the stitches were much larger than I do now, but they were FAIRLY close to the same. Try practicing on scraps for a while-make sure you have the correct hand-quiting thread and between needle, and when you feel confident, start your redwork. You'll be much happier and really proud knowing you did the whole thing yourself. There are pleanty of books on hand-quilting if you don't have someone near to get you started. Good luck!!

I agree - this may be the best way to go.

Yvonne 12-07-2010 09:53 AM

Your redwork is beautiful! I would have a hard time allowing someone else to work on it. It is your "baby." Go ahead and finish it. It'll be a work of art when your finished.

ckcowl 12-07-2010 10:05 AM

sounds like a project for you to tackle yourself...then you will know about stitches, consistency, evenness...
it sounds as if no one is going to measure up to your expectations so save yourself some aggrevation and just do it yourself. you know what they say....if you want a job done right...

Borntohandquilt 12-07-2010 10:14 AM

Judith Ann,
I agree with the others - go for it and do it yourself. The red work is so beautiful, it should be completely "yours".
Take the time to try hand quilting on another quilt or just a pillow case or something and practice a little. You can do the embroidery, so I'm quite sure you will also do a good job with hand quilting.

quilter68 12-07-2010 10:15 AM

It is beautiful!!!!

Sure you can do it yourself. Maybe practice on some pot holders.
This looks to be a special quilt.

Magdalena 12-07-2010 10:18 AM

It's beautiful! And, I agree with Borntohandquilt, it should be completely yours.

ptquilts 12-07-2010 10:29 AM

HI Judith Ann - I have a sister with your name!! I hand quilt, and I would recommend doing it your self. That way it will be all yours - think how proud you will be.

quilter68 12-07-2010 10:34 AM

Can these panels be purchased pre=marked?

mayday 12-07-2010 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by judith ann
Thanks. I think I am going to try to do it myself.Wish me luck.j

do SO agree, it will be very relaxing when you once get into it -----best of luck.