Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question for LAQers...how to figure costs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-laqers-how-figure-costs-t124813.html)

jaciqltznok 05-21-2011 07:00 PM

I have lady that wants to commission me to do a DWR for her daughters wedding in OCT...yeah I know..
luckily doing the king size DWR won't be too hard or time consuming, but finding a GOOD reasonably priced LQer is becoming difficult!
they just keep throwing numbers at me like I am supposed to know what they mean!
I have been quoted, $.01 per inch, $.03 per inch and now $.015!
The lady wants it done just like her grannies...you know, 1/4" around the arc and melons and a design in the blank spot...
the quilt should measure 102" sq when I am done!

SO, do any of those prices sound right? Am I delivering the right info on what is needed?

this looks like what she wants
http://www.doodle-head.com/quilt/dwr/

bamamama 05-21-2011 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I have lady that wants to commission me to do a DWR for her daughters wedding in OCT...yeah I know..
luckily doing the king size DWR won't be too hard or time consuming, but finding a GOOD reasonably priced LQer is becoming difficult!
they just keep throwing numbers at me like I am supposed to know what they mean!
The lady wants it done just like her grannies...you know, 1/4" around the arc and melons and a design in the blank spot...

SO, do any of those prices sound right? Am I delivering the right info on what is needed?

If you can give me the total length and width of the quilt in inches I can give you a price. If it is to be quilted in a pantograph or other edge to edge design the price is usually .01 per square inch. If you want a custom or semi design the price is usually up to .03 per square inch depending on what you want done. A picture of the quilt you want duplicated would be helpful too.

jaciqltznok 05-21-2011 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by bamamama

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

If you can give me the total length and width of the quilt in inches I can give you a price. If it is to be quilted in a pantograph or other edge to edge design the price is usually .01 per square inch. If you want a custom or semi design the price is usually up to .03 per square inch depending on what you want done. A picture of the quilt you want duplicated would be helpful too.

it comes to 10404"

greensleeves 05-21-2011 07:35 PM

At .01 per sq in your size is just over $104 quilting only and usually pantograph quilting only.
.03 which is more the range for custom quilting as opposed to pantograph edge to edge would be around $312 quilting only. Ask to see the work of the quilter especially for custom since that can vary much more in skill and quality than the panto quilting does. I do panto only right now and am hopefully going to venture into custom over the next year and know it is more time consuming than the panto. Maybe you'll be lucky enough to find great custom quilter for less--maybe barter? Remember there are additional costs sometimes for thread, batting, etc. Ask ahead of time. Good luck with the DWR, they are beautiful.

quilticing 05-22-2011 02:48 AM

The request for traditional 1/4" along seam is very time consuming so 2-3 cents per sq. inch would be the norm. Length of quilt in inches times width of quilt in inches times cost per square inch will give the number you're asking about. Also, ask about any other charges on top of that and the wait time to get it back.

cjtinkle 05-22-2011 02:55 AM

I would think 3 cents per square inch minimum would be realistic, what you're asking for is all ruler work, very time and labor intensive. However the design/motif selection you want is not dense, so 3 cents psi would be reasonable.

Edge to edge/Pantograph work usually falls in the 1.5 to 2.5 cents per square inch.

Custom work, which involves the use of rulers, templates, stencils and freehand design with marking, averages anywhere from 2.5 on up to 6 cents per square inch.

ckcowl 05-22-2011 03:14 AM

to figure the square inches of your quilt- multiply the length by the width-
that number is multiplied by how many cents per square inch being charged.
i think the (norm) is reaching about 2 cents a square inch (.02)
some people do not charge by the inch- some charge by the project itself- and there is a large list of quilters here on the board- maybe you could find one that fits in with your needs a little better.