Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for Long-Arm Quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-long-arm-quilters-t61634.html)

3699quilter 08-27-2010 07:13 AM

Just wondering about the total time of quilting a quilt.
For instance, a twin size quilt with the same design throughout the quilt = a panograph I think they call it.

From the time you put it on your machine to the time you complete the quilting work - how long does it usually take?

If a person says they are quilting your quilt on Monday, baring any interruptions - would/should it be done the same day, at least the same week?

amandasgramma 08-27-2010 07:29 AM

I've not been longarming for long, but I did a Full-size quilt - in the meandering pattern, in just a few hours. I did it on the mid-arm -- which means that pattern size was smaller in width, so I had to roll the quilt 3 times more often than on the Longarms. That also included goofing off time! LOL I definately KNOW it should be done within the week. I'd think the quilter would want it OFF her machine.

jamh 08-27-2010 07:31 AM

I have a mid-arm!! And from start to finish! I'd say about 3 hours!! If it's a easy design, probably less time!!

hcarpanini 08-27-2010 07:35 AM

I sometimes time myself, a pattern can take 8 minutes or 18 minutes per row, depending on the density. I try to do it in one day. I am not one to stand for hours at the machine. I do a row, laundry, row, coffee, row let the dogs out/in. and so on..... But I get the job done. There are advantages/disadvantages to being your own boss!

QuiltQtrs 08-27-2010 09:16 AM

Time to iron both top and backing: 20 minutes
Time to load top and back on quilting machine: 20 min.
Time to machine quilt with simple Pantograph or
overall free-hand Meander: Maximum 3 hours.
Time to trim all edges: 10 min.
This is what I figure using my Mid (Short)Arm machine
for Twin Size (approx. 64-72 wide up to 80" length)
Would charge $45-$50.

ckcowl 08-27-2010 09:26 AM

anywhere from 2 hours to 200 hours. when i bought my long-arm the lady at the shop i ordered it through told me anyone can quilt a queen size quilt in 2 hours with this machine...10 years later i still have not managed that but i can do a baby quilt in 2 hours :)
it takes 45 minutes of more just to load the quilt; unloading does go a bit faster, but even baby quilts from the time i walk into the room to load till i unload and walk out is a minimum or 4 hours.
if the quilter works out side her quilting business (like me) i may load a quilt on sunday and get the first row across done, then stop. after work monday maybe go work another hour...ect so it may well take a week or two. it depends on lots of stuff...including dealing with tension issues, thread breaking problems, lots of stuff, so i don't think anyone can really say, i can quilt a quilt in 2 hours...maybe but not usually.

Rebecca VLQ 08-27-2010 10:48 AM

Depends. You have to load/unload (which is a zillion pins for me) and then the density of the quilting, the design, if it has to be turned.

At the end of it all, they should have given you a "promised by" date...

MamaHen 08-27-2010 11:46 AM

I'd say one to two days for a good job. Loading correctly is important so this may take up to a hour or more. Correct tension is also important. This can take anywhere from 10 min to 30 depending. The all important quilting can be as quick or as labor instensive as one makes it. All depends on amount of quilting involved, all over free hand, panto, or show quality. I always say about a week, and feel good when I have it done in 3 days.

Sadiemae 08-27-2010 11:49 AM

To be fair: What did the long arm quilter tell you?

wolph33 08-27-2010 12:16 PM

I have a long arm and doing a panto takes longer than free motion because you are trying to follow a line-but a twin could be loaded ,quilted and unloaded the same day if the panto is not very intricate.Even with problems and life,etc by the end of a week it should be done