Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question for paper piecers! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-paper-piecers-t144693.html)

xray_a 08-12-2011 01:42 PM

I am currently working on a Christmas tree skirt that is almost entirely paper pieced. This is really my first project paper piecing, but I do have the basics down. My question is this. Is there any way to use my time a little more efficiently? Right now this is how I'm working. I put the next fabric piece into place, sew, press, fold and trim the excess. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to have a lot of units ready, sew them all, then press them all, then trim them all, instead of doing each one at a time. Or does it not make a difference in the long run?

Angela

the casual quilter 08-12-2011 01:48 PM

Some paper piecing patterns call for pre-cutting fabric. It does save on fabric waste. But all the pre-cutting is a little time consuming.

fabric_fancy 08-12-2011 01:50 PM

i do strip paper piecing to save time.

i just cut strips the width of the fabric in a height that will cover the area its supposed to be in.

then i just have a bunch of strips ready to go and i'm not cutting out each individual shape until its sewn in place.

JulieR 08-12-2011 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by xray_a
I am currently working on a Christmas tree skirt that is almost entirely paper pieced. This is really my first project paper piecing, but I do have the basics down. My question is this. Is there any way to use my time a little more efficiently? Right now this is how I'm working. I put the next fabric piece into place, sew, press, fold and trim the excess. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to have a lot of units ready, sew them all, then press them all, then trim them all, instead of doing each one at a time. Or does it not make a difference in the long run?

Angela

I do the "mass production" method wherever I can. If it's something particularly fussy I'll do one at a time, but otherwise...no.

shnnn 08-12-2011 01:51 PM

Are you talking about chain piecing multiples of the same unit? It is much faster!

sandyl 08-12-2011 01:53 PM

Angela; I wish there was a quicker method but I haven't found it unless it's in the cutting. Which tree skirt are you using? I found one in LQS but didn't buy it; now I wish that I had. I want to make some for kids for Christmas. Each one to be different. The tree skirt patterns are hard to find. The one I saw was gorgeous and huge! Wonder if it's the same PP one.
Sandy

BrendaY 08-12-2011 01:54 PM

I always have to be very careful with the first couple of pieces that I sew... double check it before I do any strip piecing.. but I'm fairly new to all this.

Lori S 08-12-2011 02:01 PM

I cut all the fabrics , I do not cut them exact I allow for generous "flip flubs".
Then I sew all the number ones , flip , press , trim , then the number 2 and so on .
I do chain piece all the of the same number rather than stop and cut thread and start again. This may not be best if its really large units.

Kitsie 08-12-2011 02:03 PM

I like to press each piece as I go to make it lie flat and ready for the next piece. Matter of choice really.

snipforfun 08-12-2011 02:07 PM

When I teach paper piecing I have the people precut the fabric into the sizes needed for each sections of the block. When they get to the class I tell them that they have already done the bulk of the work and now we can start creating the design. I hate wasting time in classes just doing repetitive cutting. Precise pre cutting will produce amazing results and reduce the frustration level of having to rip out, cut again then sew again! I follow Carol Doaks method and all her patterns give generous pre cutting instructions. You may want to check out her website and then join her Yahoo group. www.caroldoak.com