Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question: Quilt for two (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-quilt-two-t198584.html)

AshleyR 08-25-2012 01:40 AM

Question: Quilt for two

This is going to sound like a silly question, but it popped into my head and I wanted to get opinions!

My husband and I have different thermostats. He is very cold in the winter and very hot in the summer. My internal thermostat is always stuck on "hot".

I was wondering if doubling up on batting, and/or using flannel backing on HIS side of a quilt is feasible?

ckcowl 08-25-2012 02:47 AM

if you double up on the batting it is going to be thicker/puffier on one side- which may make a lop-sided quilt- but if you don't mind that give it a try- it would be easy enough to make a backing that was cotton/flannel or even fleece (very warm & cozy) you could also add warm (features) to the top on his side- like flannel, wools or corduroy appliques that would add additional warmth/weight. try a wool batting too- wool is wonderful batting - is lightweight, breaths, tends to (magically) adjust to your warmth.

117becca 08-25-2012 02:50 AM

Give him an extra blanket under the quilt! ;)

Seriously though, I agree w/ ckcowl, it won't look right.

QM 08-25-2012 02:53 AM

With the reverse problem in our family, the second quilt (underneath) for me worked well.

AshleyR 08-25-2012 03:03 AM

I'm not too concerned with how it looks. Our bed is NOT on display lol! It would be under a bedspread, so that doesn't matter much. I'm seriously thinking 2 flat sheets and batting. Usually, in cooler weather, he wears sweat pants and sweat shirt and we have a very heavy comforter and he has an extra blanket and I wear a cotton gown and usually kick the blanket off. And he cranks the heat up and he's still cold! We also have a heated mattress pad that he can control his side and I control mine!

Wool batting won't run me out?!!

TanyaL 08-26-2012 08:18 PM

Has he had his thyroid checked lately?

LTeachergeorge 08-26-2012 08:34 PM

DH and I each have our separate covers (he says I am a blanket hog). Works for us, though making the bed is a real pain!!

Bluelady 08-26-2012 09:01 PM

I would just put an extra blanket over his side of the bed. So you could make a quilt to share and his own extra special quilt to go just on his half..

grammy1231 08-27-2012 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelady (Post 5470677)
I would just put an extra blanket over his side of the bed. So you could make a quilt to share and his own extra special quilt to go just on his half..

That is exactly what I do....my internal thermostat is always hot. I have a shared quilt on our bed and a twin size quilt folded at the bottom for my husband to cover with when the ac and fan are making him feel like he is in Alaska.

alisonquilts 08-27-2012 02:56 AM

Definitely get his thyroid checked!

Alison