Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for quilters with multiple sewing machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-quilters-multiple-sewing-machines-t132131.html)

Flying_V_Goddess 06-21-2011 10:43 AM

Lately I've seen several topics on here asking "How many sewing machines do you have?" and quite a lot of the answers were more than one or two. One poster said she owns eleven sewing machines.

I just have one sewing machine. My mom bought it for me around seven years ago for about $60 when I started learning how to machine sew in high school. I really only need one sewing machine to quilt with. But I don't have the room or the funds for more than one anyways.

I see these posts about having multiple sewing machines and I think "Does one really need that many?" I can kind of see where two sewing machines might be an advantage if you're working on two projects at once or have one machine for piecing and the other for FMQ.

So I'm a bit curious. If you do have more than one or two machines, how many do you have and why do have that many? Do you use them all?

Just Me... 06-21-2011 10:46 AM

When one of mine 'dies', I just don't have the heart to discard it! I also have one that I use for embroidery, so I need one to sew with while she is working. Then, I got my 'dieing' one fixed, in case someone comes over to stitch with me and they don't need to bring a machine. :)

vjengels 06-21-2011 10:48 AM

I have three; one to piece, one to bind, and one to quilt. I don't have to mess with the tension on any of them when moving from start to finish.. ( and as a last resort.... if I can't afford to get a tune up on time I have a spare) I have a really small room,9x9 no closet; but manage to have 3 different stations... just a slight twist in the chair and I'm at a different machine.

sewwhat85 06-21-2011 10:52 AM

i have 4 featherweights 3 sewing machines 1 embroidery machine and 2 longarm quilting machines 2 sergers 1 treadle

Ps 150 06-21-2011 10:53 AM

Total, in my sewing room, there's 5 machines...but, only one of them is MY sewing machine. I have two DD's (ages 6 and 8) and they each have their own machines to learn on (so they won't break Mommy's), then there's my serger and my embroidery machine. So, in truth, I only have 1 sewing machine...the rest either do other jobs or belong to the little ones.

emerald46 06-21-2011 10:54 AM

Like others on the board, I love the old Singer Featherweights (4) and Treadles (2). Why - they are beautiful and look darn good in my sewing room. I have a favorite FW that I take to classes and quilt days at church. I also have a Janome that I use all the time at home and a can't be beat Kenmore for standby. I just ordered an embroidery only machine. I forgot about the serger. I'm only missing a LA but I truly don't have the patience for that.

Up North 06-21-2011 11:06 AM

I have a treadle that my mom gave me, My grandmothers machine one I bought at goodwill, my Brother embroidery sewing machine an old kenmore I bought about 30 years ago used and some where in storage is my first machine I got from hubby when we got married, I also have 3 other machines in the basement for DDIL's to use and two battery operated ones we take camping. And I have an old singer head only that I got at a garage sale for $2.00 Only use two or three myself but when we have a get together get more out for the girls.

Jennifer22206 06-21-2011 11:15 AM

I have 5 and a serger that I don't use.

Serger - unused, given to me
White - I use it for purse/tote making, piecing, had it for years and I love it so much.
New Singer - I do a lot of FMQ on it. It's OK, not my favorite
Brother - my great backup machine <- I love this silly (was little less than $80 on Amazon, I got it when the White and "new" Singer were in the shop)machine more than I can say
Vintage Singer - piecing and binding <- great backup machine too
Treadle - FMQ'ing large projects, piecing. <- Don't use it often, but it works great.

All in all, all the machines have cost less than $500, and that includes the almost $300 for the newer Singer.

cjtinkle 06-21-2011 11:17 AM

I have a straight stitch only machine that I use strictly for piecing quilts. It gets quite a workout! Then I have two combo (sewing and embroidery) machines, one that gets used nonstop, and the other occassionaly... it is my backup machine and class machine.

I have a vintage Singer that doesn't get used, although it sews beautifully, just because I wanted it... and then a serger and a stand alone coverstitch machine.

Finally, I have a commercial longarm. All these machines (except the Singer) get used quite regularly, some daily. I could never have just one machine, as sometimes machines break or need servicing, which means that machine may be down for awhile.

Maggiesmom 06-21-2011 11:19 AM

I have 4 machines. One I use for embroidery, one for piecing, one I use with teaching and one I have as a back-up or can take it when we camp.