Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question on rag quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-rag-quilting-t32149.html)

quiltsRfun 12-23-2009 12:01 PM

I sew two seams (instead of one on all seams)
DITTO

judithb 12-24-2009 08:01 AM

I seldom prewash the fabric for any quilts. I don't lock the stitches either. Just line them up and sew them. I use a decorative stitch for the outside border. They last forever through many washings. I usually wash them at least 4-5 times before i give them away. That way most of the fraying takes place and they look great. Remember to clean the lint filter after each washing! The first 3-4 washings have a lot of lint and threads.

Catherine Marie 12-24-2009 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
I wash all fabrics before using--never wash batting. I do not backstitch. Good luck!

Could someone explain what 'backstitching' is?
Thakns, and Merry Christmas to all of you and the very best in the New Year. ;)

Catherine Marie 12-24-2009 02:17 PM

Ooops, sorry about the 'thkns' ... a little Christmas Eve wine...

momto4 12-24-2009 02:32 PM

I have never done this before. Sry I am not of any help at the moment :(

judithb 12-24-2009 07:27 PM

I wash all fabrics before using--never wash batting. I do not backstitch. Good luck!

I have never used batting in a rag quilt. I have always used flannel on the back, cotton or flannel on the front. Most of them have stayed in nice climates. As I say that now its 30 degrees (Dallas). We had "blizzard" today. Probably 1-1/2 inches of snow! There was an hour program on the TV news about the Christmas Eve blizzard. Even I was laughing!

sharon b 12-24-2009 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Catherine Marie

When you start stitching and go forward a stitch and then reverse a stitch or two and then continue forward stitching

Catherine Marie 12-25-2009 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b

Originally Posted by Catherine Marie

When you start stitching and go forward a stitch and then reverse a stitch or two and then continue forward stitching

Thanks, I thought so but since I am fairly new to quilting, I thought this might be a quilting term.

mommabogue 12-30-2009 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by craftinggrandma
Hi

I just finished my 4th rag quilt for the month. Just learning how to do them. But the question I have is do you back stitch when you do your X's. And another question. Do you wash your fabrics first. I have been using cotton on the top flannel in the middle and on the bottom. i have been washing the flannel before i cut and sew them together but not the cotton fabric. I had bought some squares off Ebay and then bought flannel material and cut them myself and never thought that the cotton fabric that i got from ebay was never washed. Seems to come out pretty good. A little wrinkled in the squares but that looks good. I'll have to take pictures and post them.

thanks
Pam

Ok.. I want to do a rag quilt but ...can someone tell me what the x's are?.. is that where u just sew on the diagonal?
thanks,
Fannie

judithb 12-30-2009 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by mommabogue

Originally Posted by craftinggrandma
Hi

I just finished my 4th rag quilt for the month. Just learning how to do them. But the question I have is do you back stitch when you do your X's. And another question. Do you wash your fabrics first. I have been using cotton on the top flannel in the middle and on the bottom. i have been washing the flannel before i cut and sew them together but not the cotton fabric. I had bought some squares off Ebay and then bought flannel material and cut them myself and never thought that the cotton fabric that i got from ebay was never washed. Seems to come out pretty good. A little wrinkled in the squares but that looks good. I'll have to take pictures and post them.

thanks
Pam

Ok.. I want to do a rag quilt but ...can someone tell me what the x's are?.. is that where u just sew on the diagonal?
thanks,
Fannie

Yes. It is not always necessary. I have one pattern that I have used a lot the largest square is 8X7. I have not used the "X". they work just fine.