Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question on which Shape cut ruler to buy today. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-shape-cut-ruler-buy-today-t206978.html)

TerryQuilter 11-26-2012 01:30 PM

I have the larger one and love it for strips. I have used the smaller one, but always get the "V" in my strips 'cuz I guess I don't double fold fabric very well.

katier825 11-26-2012 06:38 PM

I have a smaller one and put the clear InvisiGrip stuff on the back. I love it! As with other rulers, it's a good idea to have a couple of fingers on the table, and the others on the ruler as you cut to help reduce slippage. It's not as durable as the heavier rulers are but if you have a lot of strips to cut, it's great. I find that I am more accurate using it. If you can get a decent sale price and expect to use it alot, it's worth it!

sewingsuz 11-26-2012 06:43 PM

Thanks, I got the large one today for 50% off.

Originally Posted by katier825 (Post 5681931)
I have a smaller one and put the clear InvisiGrip stuff on the back. I love it! As with other rulers, it's a good idea to have a couple of fingers on the table, and the others on the ruler as you cut to help reduce slippage. It's not as durable as the heavier rulers are but if you have a lot of strips to cut, it's great. I find that I am more accurate using it. If you can get a decent sale price and expect to use it alot, it's worth it!

patchsamkim 11-26-2012 06:46 PM

I have the 12x18 one and LOVE it...it is such a time saver, it does take folding the fabric well though to be successful with it. In addition to use it to cut strips, once strips are sewn into sets it makes cutting the sets such a breeze. I would love to have the newer largest one to cut the 2-1/2" strips...not at this time...but can put it on my "wish list" and dream.

mcfay 11-26-2012 06:52 PM

I like using my 5" x 24" ruler because it has the lip on it I can hang off the edge of the mat to help hold it straight.

cdmmiracles 11-26-2012 07:07 PM

I Have the little one (12 x 18) and wouldn't trade it for anything. I use it for strips and squares.......I cut 400 5" squares in no time at all over the weekend. I don't have anything on mine, just make sure I hold it steady. It's my favorite ruler! I got mine on amazon.com for like 20 or $22, but I've had it for a few months.

BellaBoo 11-26-2012 07:39 PM

I use mine to square up blocks, cut yardage, and to cut strips. You don't have to use it all the time for it to be useful to have. Like any tool, you have to practice using it to get the results you want.

snipforfun 11-26-2012 08:07 PM

To avoid cutting in the wrong slots, I put a mark at each measurement I want by using a dry erase marker. It wipes off easily when you are done

Dolphyngyrl 11-26-2012 08:28 PM

The 12x18 cuts 1/2 inch increments making it more versative the 20x23 cuts 2 1/2 inch increments so it is very limiting in my opinion I have the 12x18 and love it

AnnieH 11-27-2012 12:55 AM

I was lucky enough to get one(the larger one) from a quilting friend who had bought two at a Show and I love it. I make my own strips and they're far more accurately cut than the bought jelly rolls (yes, even Moda). It's a fabulous ruler.
Annie