Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for those who make minatures or really tiny pieced quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-those-who-make-minatures-really-tiny-pieced-quilts-t168684.html)

sarahrachel 11-17-2011 11:14 AM

Question for those who make minatures or really tiny pieced quilts

I'm cleaning out my scrap box and cutting into pieces and finding that I have a lot of tiny pieces as I don't use anything smaller than 1 1/2 inches. My question is what is the smallest size piece/square you could use as I'll save those to do a PIF and throw the rest out. I don't want to save things and then someone be disappointed because the pieces are too small for them to use. Thank you!

Kas 11-17-2011 12:28 PM

I would only go one inch unless I was just sewing scraps together without a plan. I think most mini makers trim their seam allowances to 1/8", but start with 1/4". So to get a 1/4" block element, you would need at least 3/4". Even though I love all things mini, my eyes and hands aren't what they were 20 years ago. I am just too fumble fingered and blind! And I am only 45! Are you planning on saving the scraps for yourself? Or are you going to gift them? It seems like a lot of work to sort and save such tiny scraps without a for sure home for them.

Liz92B 11-17-2011 12:48 PM

you could use the off-cuts for stuffing critters ...

dltaylor 11-17-2011 01:05 PM

Wow, I like that idea!! You guys never fail to amaze me with your cost saving ideas!! I think i will begin saying my scraps for stuffing.. I am always making things for my grandchildren that needs stuffing...good one!! Thanks!!!

Originally Posted by Liz92B (Post 4690682)
you could use the off-cuts for stuffing critters ...

ckcowl 11-17-2011 01:15 PM

i donate alot of the itty bitty pieces to the local pre=school they are *just their size*!
the kids use them to decorate shoe boxes for christmas gifts- and other items- they call them their (treasure boxes) and all love them- one of the pre-schools i've been doing this project with for almost 10 years now- one of those projects they look forward to every year- along with their coloring picture a,b,c quilts they make every year for a fund raiser

MadQuilter 11-17-2011 01:16 PM

You could check with Rhonda if you plan to pass them on. She works in minis and I think she told me that she uses as small as 3/4" (Crazy Woman! lol)

Katydid2 11-17-2011 01:16 PM

k3n posted a really pretty picture of a confetti art quilt -- very tiny pieces.

QuiltE 11-17-2011 01:20 PM

OKSewGlad does the minis .... and most of her work is done with 3/4" pieces!!!

I've been doing some crumb blocks, here and there ... and will work with the teeniest and tinyest in them.

So it really depends on what a person is going to do with them as to how small is usable!

amma 11-17-2011 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Katydid2 (Post 4690771)
k3n posted a really pretty picture of a confetti art quilt -- very tiny pieces.

I was thinking this very same thing :) :) :)

QuiltnNan 11-17-2011 02:02 PM

i just used 1.25" squares for a mini