Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for those who use a die-cutter (like AccuQuilt, etc.) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-those-who-use-die-cutter-like-accuquilt-etc-t189976.html)

DonnaC 05-25-2012 09:20 AM

Question for those who use a die-cutter (like AccuQuilt, etc.)

Now, I know that posting this question will get me fifty different answers (LOL), but here goes. For those who use a die-cutting machine, do you find that certain dies are more useful than others?

I have an older Sizzix die-cutter (the Big Shot), and they (Sizzix.com) are running a free shipping deal this weekend. I've got a set of long-discontinued quilting dies for applique shapes that works really well with the Sizzix, but I'm thinking some geometric dies would be nice to have. There's a big variety (squares, triangles, strips, etc.) but I'm not sure what I would use most. I generally cut strips with the June Tailor shape-cut ruler, and I do have some Martelli templates for squares, so I'm kind of leaning toward rectangles.

Any thoughts? (Unfortunately Sizzix doesn't make a rag quilt die; guess I will have to try AccuQuilt for that one, but they never seem to have free shipping on their website...)

luvTooQuilt 05-25-2012 09:23 AM

i have the go..
I use the Rag dies, Both size tumblers, bricks, 2x2, 2.5x2.5, apple core, circle dies the most..

but i do have most if not all the dies.. Strips & designers included..

Fraew 05-25-2012 10:21 AM

I have the AccuQuilt Studio. The rag dies are fabulous and I have various strip cutters...when you turn the strips and recut, you get squares. BTW - they always have free shipping over $99.

BellaBoo 05-25-2012 11:12 AM

I have many dies I don't use that much but when I want them I have them. I experiment with the dies making different cuts from each one. Right now I'm using the bigger shape dies more. The big circle dies makes nice shapes cutting only sides of the circle and sewing the sides together. I lay a lot of 2 1/2" strips at an angle and recut. I get all the shapes the same exact size so no problem sewing them. I use the 9 1/2" hex die a lot. I cut the hex in half and make the hex straight seam sewing, much easier and it being so big the shape isn't lost with the 1/4" seam. I sew strip sets together and cut tumbler and other bigger shapes from it.

CoalTownQuilter 05-25-2012 11:51 AM

Amazon.com has alot of Accuquilt dies as well as the cutter itself. If its directly thru Amazon, you can get free super saver shipping for purchases over $25. VERY reasonable prices!

nena 05-25-2012 12:01 PM

I use the strip, 61/2 sq. and LOVE the hex for grandma flower garden. I could never have made it without the GO. I have about all of them. The cuts are so perfect it makes everything go together so much better.

Dolphyngyrl 05-25-2012 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaC (Post 5242309)
Now, I know that posting this question will get me fifty different answers (LOL), but here goes. For those who use a die-cutting machine, do you find that certain dies are more useful than others?

I have an older Sizzix die-cutter (the Big Shot), and they (Sizzix.com) are running a free shipping deal this weekend. I've got a set of long-discontinued quilting dies for applique shapes that works really well with the Sizzix, but I'm thinking some geometric dies would be nice to have. There's a big variety (squares, triangles, strips, etc.) but I'm not sure what I would use most. I generally cut strips with the June Tailor shape-cut ruler, and I do have some Martelli templates for squares, so I'm kind of leaning toward rectangles.

Any thoughts? (Unfortunately Sizzix doesn't make a rag quilt die; guess I will have to try AccuQuilt for that one, but they never seem to have free shipping on their website...)

Sizzix does make a rag quilt die but you need the big shot pro to use it. I just got the drunkards path dies and I like them. Also I would think HST would also come in handy. You might want to consider investing in the pro because you can use both sizzix and accuquilt dies on the sizzix pro. just think of quilts you make a lot or have your favorite pattern and get dies for that

skowron5 05-25-2012 03:56 PM

I just got the hex die. I can't believe how fast I can cut them out.