Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question - would you combine flannel and cotton in a quilt top? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-would-you-combine-flannel-cotton-quilt-top-t216372.html)

GayleM 03-14-2013 11:47 AM

Question - would you combine flannel and cotton in a quilt top?

I am in the process of chosing fabrics for a grandson's quilt. I have some flannel with one of his favorite animated characters on it and would like to use it in the quilt top - but all the rest of the fabrics would be cottons. Was thinking of making a block using a flannel square in the middle and perhaps cotton strips surrounding it like a log cabin, with sashing between the squares. Have any of you done this and was it successful? The flannel is high quality. Thanks in advance for your responses!!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 03-14-2013 01:45 PM

I think as long as the flannel has been washed and dried a couple of times things should work. Flannel often shrinks A LOT, so I'd be sure it had it's shrinking done before I made it the center of my blocks.

GagaSmith 03-14-2013 02:10 PM

The only time I have combined the two was when I made the self binding receiving blankets found on Missouri Star Quilt tutorials. It worked fine for that.

oh munner 03-14-2013 02:13 PM

I've combined the two fabrics several times with no problem at all. The only thing I would suggest is that you wash the flannel several times in the hottest water possible and dry it each time. Beyond that you shouldn't have any problems. Oh, and you may want to sew a true 1/4 inch seam as well just to be on the safe side.

mariolkapolka 03-15-2013 05:15 AM

To avoid problems I never mix flannel and woven cotton fabric since they shrink at different rates. With washing flannel looses its crispness and develops fuzz, the only plus is that it becomes very soft. I use flannel only as betting or when making rag quilts.

GayleM 03-15-2013 12:18 PM

Good suggestions! I normally wash my cottons but I'm not sure about the flannel as I "inherited" it from a woman who purchased it to make pj's for her grandsons - but they grew faster than she sewed - so she gave me a stack of flannel fabrics. I really appreciate your taking the time to answer. THANK YOU!

Dolphyngyrl 03-15-2013 04:13 PM

I think its okay if its a good quality flannel like connecting threads.I just used theirs, washed it first there was hardly any shrinkage suprisingly. Will definitely buy their flannel again

GrannieAnnie 03-15-2013 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by GayleM (Post 5928235)
I am in the process of chosing fabrics for a grandson's quilt. I have some flannel with one of his favorite animated characters on it and would like to use it in the quilt top - but all the rest of the fabrics would be cottons. Was thinking of making a block using a flannel square in the middle and perhaps cotton strips surrounding it like a log cabin, with sashing between the squares. Have any of you done this and was it successful? The flannel is high quality. Thanks in advance for your responses!!

Quilting flannnel is cotton. I use it mixed with any woven I want. On my sewing table right now is a corduroy/duck rag quilt

GrannieAnnie 03-15-2013 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 5930805)
I think its okay if its a good quality flannel like connecting threads.I just used theirs, washed it first there was hardly any shrinkage suprisingly. Will definitely buy their flannel again

CT won my heart with their great flannels.

EllieGirl 03-15-2013 05:10 PM

I've combined them for a baby quilt. I guess there wasn't a problem because my daughter never mentioned it. Ha, ha! I just sent her a text message asking her