Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Questions about batiks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/questions-about-batiks-t78944.html)

Marge L. 11-27-2010 05:48 AM

I have used cottons for quilting from the beginning. So much has been said about batiks on this board and decided I would acquire some. Connecting Threads had some wonderful deals on batik bundles so I decided to 'jump in the fire' and see what it was all about. Received them yesterday. They are beautiful!!!! I hadn't realized that they were so silky. Are they cotton? Now I am not sure at all as to how to use them. (Talk about dumb) Need some ideas. Can they be mixed with cottons in the same quilt? Need your help and thanks for the help I know will be bestowed on me. Marge L.

raptureready 11-27-2010 05:52 AM

You can mix them with other fabrics or you can use them by themselves. Some batiks are poly, poly blends, or 100% cotton it just depends on what you ordered. There's beautiful patterns free online for quilts made from batiks or you can use traditional patterns, your favorite blocks, or whatever. Start looking through some books or magazines, you'll know the pattern to use with your fabrics when you see it, it will just jump out at you.

sahm4605 11-27-2010 06:01 AM

Welcome to the batiks!! I love them too. I got some from connecting threads also and I really like them. I believe that they should be 100% cotton. and yes you can mix and match them with other fabrics and prints. I have before. it just depends on the batiks. they will speak to you and tell you what they want to be. just keep looking around for patterns. quilters cache and many different quilters websites have free patterns for blocks and entire quilts. it is kinda up to you what you do. and as long as you listen to your fabric you can't go wrong. if you post a pic of your fabrics it will also help people point you to a pattern or block.

Marge L. 11-27-2010 06:20 AM

I can't show pics. Don't have a digital camera. Wish I could though. I've made some beauties that I wish others could see.
Marge L.

Jamiestitcher62 11-27-2010 06:51 AM

One thing about Batiks depending on the manufacturer is that they seem thicker than regular quilting fabric. Because they are "hand" painted, when you start stacking them to piece, you need a nice sharp needle to get through them. I'm doing a king size quilt in all batiks, pieced up the ying yang and boy it's a challenge. If you have any really dark colors, I'd wash them first, they might bleed. I have a really dark navy blue batik I am using and was told when I bought it to make sure and wash it first.

Good luck, I didn't like Batik's at first, now I have been collecting half yard pieces of all different patterns and colors, for a really cool scrappy star quilt.

mom-6 11-27-2010 07:43 AM

Because batiks have that lovely 'feel' to them I like to use them all together to continue that luxuriousness. It is certainly not required however.

Joyce L 11-27-2010 07:48 AM

I love the Batiks, also. I ordered some from Connecting Thread. These are 2 1/2" x 45". I know exactly what I am going to do with them. I just have to finish what I have already started as Christmas gifts, then I can get to work on them. I can't wait.

Joyce

amma 11-27-2010 08:33 PM

I like to soak batiks and hand dyed fabrics in Retayne before using them. These fabrics tend to bleed, and this will help to set the dye :D:D:D

GrannieAnnie 11-27-2010 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
You can mix them with other fabrics or you can use them by themselves. Some batiks are poly, poly blends, or 100% cotton it just depends on what you ordered. There's beautiful patterns free online for quilts made from batiks or you can use traditional patterns, your favorite blocks, or whatever. Start looking through some books or magazines, you'll know the pattern to use with your fabrics when you see it, it will just jump out at you.

May I add that batiks are so fabulous that they don't need a difficult pattern to show their beauty.

fleurdelisquilts.com 11-27-2010 08:53 PM

I'm using some batiks I picked up at my LQS to make the disappearing four block pattern. I am having so much fun with them. They feel wonderful and have a beautiful hand. I think I'll need a few more of the 10" squares since the pack I bought has only 40 and I decided on a queen quilt. I was thinking of ordering some from Connecting Threads, but you've convinced me. I've mixed them with other fabrics before, but this is going to be much better. I plan to soak the quilt top in Retayne once it's finished since I didn't presoak. Hope that works as well!