Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Questions re: FMQ on my NEW INNOV-is 2000 (Brother) Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/questions-re-fmq-my-new-innov-2000-brother-machine-t181540.html)

littlebitoheaven 03-03-2012 05:27 PM

Questions re: FMQ on my NEW INNOV-is 2000 (Brother) Machine

1 Attachment(s)
I am making wall hangings for my GDs. They pieced the background and then I used Pelon "lite" to iron on a large cat laying on an aquarium w/a gold fish in it. (This is a Keepsake Quilting pattern 23 x 26").

I am unable to FMQ over the parts that are ironed on. I am so disappointed. I am able to go forward but if I go in reverse, the machine skips stitches. I practiced on a quilt sandwich (w/o the iron-on product) and my machine works just great. It will not work on the applique.

Any help from Board Friends will be greatly appreciated.[ATTACH=CONFIG]317114[/ATTACH]

grannyrae 03-03-2012 06:09 PM

have you tried a larger needle(topstitch) all I can suggest.Sorry you are having problems,cute quilt

AshleyR 03-03-2012 06:13 PM

I am having the same problem with my machine. Someone suggested not putting the needle in all the way. I haven't tried that yet tho. I thought I'd let you know.

Tartan 03-03-2012 06:25 PM

It might be the iron on fusible. I had a real mess once trying to FMQ over a Heat and Bond product. I thought it was the H & B light but it was regular H & B and I finally gave up. I did manage to use my buttonhole stitch along the edge because most of that is sewn off the applique. I stocked up on Wonder Under and I like that. Some people like Misty Fuse? There are a lot of different light fusibles on the market and you need to find one that your machine likes. I know that doesn't help with your kitty problem but someone else may give you some better ideas of what to do. Good luck!

TanyaL 03-03-2012 06:39 PM

Don't go in reverse. Either stitch in place to fasten thread, or put needle down, raise pressure arm and turn fabric to change directions. Then use Wonder Under on next applique wall quilt.I use Wonder Under and have no trouble sewing through it with every stitch my machine has.

littlebitoheaven 03-03-2012 07:59 PM

Thank you, everyone, for your helpful replies. I did try a larger needle. Did not help! I have to believe that it is the type of bond that I used. Lesson learned. Thanks again. Yolanda Wood River

littlebitoheaven 03-03-2012 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by AshleyR (Post 5028856)
I am having the same problem with my machine. Someone suggested not putting the needle in all the way. I haven't tried that yet tho. I thought I'd let you know.

Thank you. Have never tried or thought of that. I will give it a try but don't want to do damage to my machine.

Arleners 03-04-2012 04:20 AM

Just a suggestion for future projects. Superior threads has a fusible thread that you can use to place the applique pieces onto a picture. They have videos to demonstrate how to do this. The bottom line is that your piece is fused to the foundation only at the edges. This leave the fabric much more flexible so you shouldn't have stitching problems.

I'm just starting to play around with the product, but it seems very promising.

littlebitoheaven 03-04-2012 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Arleners (Post 5029538)
Just a suggestion for future projects. Superior threads has a fusible thread that you can use to place the applique pieces onto a picture. They have videos to demonstrate how to do this. The bottom line is that your piece is fused to the foundation only at the edges. This leave the fabric much more flexible so you shouldn't have stitching problems.

I'm just starting to play around with the product, but it seems very promising.

Thank you. I will give it a try. Yolanda Wood River

lunagrandquilter 03-04-2012 09:43 AM

I just finished some flowers and leaves with steam a seam for fusible. Did free motion quilting on the petalas and lots of thread painting on flower centers using a "sharp" needle. Can't remember what size though. Keep trying other types of needles, you may find one that works. Good luck.