Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt backing question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-backing-question-t6088.html)

babeegirl 04-10-2008 06:37 PM

I'm working on a very special quilt for a very special person as a gift. I found the absolute PERFECT backing....but....it's a 54x68 beach towel! the motif is so perfect for the recipients personality that I have to make this work somehow, I already set my heart on it. Do I use a very thin cotton batting, or would you use any batting at all? I plan on meander quilting by machine in larger "meanders" rather than the smaller type. It will find its new home in Idaho and I want it to have warmth and substance without being bulky. Any ideas or batting recommendations would be great!

Babeegirl

zyxquilts 04-10-2008 09:16 PM

I wouldn't use any batting with it. I think the beach towel would be thick enough on it's own. I can't wait to see what you're going to do!! Sounds like FUN! :D

tlrnhi 04-10-2008 09:21 PM

I wouldn't use batting either.
Got pictures yet?
Curious here!

Country Quilter 04-10-2008 11:55 PM

I'm wondering if the quilting will sort of pucker without some sort of stabilization...how thick is the towel? maybe just use a piece of flannel in between? I don't know for sure ...I've never tried it but depending on the thickness of the towel and the other fabrics you might need a little something.

I'm curious too!! This sounds like an awesome project.

vicki reno 04-11-2008 05:59 AM

I would use a light weight batting. A beach towel may not be heavy enough to give you enough thickness when you do your quilting.

BDor 04-11-2008 06:27 AM

country quilter wrote

I'm wondering if the quilting will sort of pucker without some sort of stabilization
I agree.

jbsstrawberry 04-11-2008 06:36 AM

I think I would use flannel or at least the lighter variety, flannette like you use to make recieving blankets for babies.

nel 04-11-2008 06:37 AM

I would use flannel for batting or none at all (test with the flannel in between) and tie the quilt every 4-6" apart.

Moonpi 04-11-2008 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Country Quilter
I'm wondering if the quilting will sort of pucker without some sort of stabilization... .

My thoughts, too. I've never sewn terrycloth - what kind of needle would you use?

babeegirl 04-11-2008 08:05 PM

I'm still waiting on the towel, I had to order it online so I don't know the handweight or feel of it yet. It' didn't say velour so I'm clueless on that point. Once I get it, I'll find a similar weight at Joannes and get some "test" yardage to play with the quilting. I'm thinking the flannel sounds like a good idea though. A larger eyed needle will most likely be necessary although since terrycloth has a larger weave I may be able to get by with just a regular:) I'm still working on the top. It's going to be a Mariners Compass/paperpieced using blacks, whites, yellow Bali's and Crown Royal bags. Should be interesting! Tomorrow and Sunday will be fun!