Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-batting-t108515.html)

ThreadHead 03-17-2011 07:31 PM

Anyone else besides me using felt from a bolt for batting?

I have been using felt for years now on the kids quilts. It has gone through many washings and still holding together.
Syl

dellareya 03-17-2011 08:28 PM

Sometimes I use felt for batting. I especially use felt in place mats and table runners. Sometimes I will use it in small wall hangings. I try to get felt when it is on sale. I usually buy very neutral colors.

AudreyB 03-17-2011 08:30 PM

Never thought of it. Glad to know it works.

cherylynne 03-17-2011 09:40 PM

I always use Warm and Natural, but I have some felt that I don't know what to so with. Maybe I can use it in small projects. Thanks for the inspiration.

Painiacs 03-17-2011 11:18 PM

Thanks for the idea! Does it shrink??

Lilrain 03-17-2011 11:25 PM

What happens when you wash it? Is it colorfast? Does it shrink, how about wrinkles? i would be interested in trying it if it causes no problems. i for many years used old flannel sheets, abthrobes, etc instead of batting in placemats. No shrinking or bleeding out as it had been washed a hundred times

ThreadHead 03-18-2011 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lilrain
What happens when you wash it? Is it colorfast? Does it shrink, how about wrinkles? i would be interested in trying it if it causes no problems
. i for many years used old flannel sheets, abthrobes, etc instead of batting in placemats. No shrinking or bleeding out as it had been washed a hundred times

I haven't found any problems with it yet.
I have always used the white so I never worry about colorfast.
I've never had a problem with shrinking or wrinkles.
The only thing that bothered me was that it says flammable on the bolt.
So, I took a small strip 2 inch by 6 inch over to my stove, put it in a pan and put a match to it. lol Yes, I did.
It didn't burn any different than other material. It shrunk up and stuck together.
However, just like any other material, you want to keep it away from any kind of fire.
The kids quilts have been put in the washer and Dryer many, many times and never a problem.
Another problem I found----While at JoAnn's yesterday I was gasping for air at the prices of material and battings. Eight dollars a yard for Calico's is asinine. Their batting for a queen size quilt was $24.00 to $29.00.
I was fussing all through the store. I know that they have the 50% off on sales, but that brings the price back down to what it should have been in the first place. They keep raising their prices and they are going to run themselves out of business.
Syl

ckcowl 03-18-2011 03:44 AM

what is the fiber content of the 'felt' you are using?
is it wool felt?
or acrylic?
or cotton?
i've used some wool felt - but used acrylic-craft felt once that had to be washed and it sure didn't look very good afterwards. would be interested in just where you find felt to use for batting...and of course, just what it is made out of... :thumbup: