Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt.con in Austin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-con-austin-t213135.html)

jcrow 02-06-2013 01:03 PM

Quilt.con in Austin

My niece lives in Austin and we've been talking about me flying down again. I was there this summer for four days. I just found out that Quilt.con is going to be there in about 2 weeks. It's 4 days of lectures, vendors and a quilt show. I've never had the opportunity to go to one. So, would I do one whole day of lectures or pick a couple of lectures on two days and spend the rest of the time looking at vendors and trying not to buy and looking at quilts? Or do I go everyday? I need to sign up now. I think 4 days is too much...my niece will drop me off. I think I could use my sister's sewing machine tucked in my niece's garage for a workshop and take a couple of lectures one day and spend one day looking. So, is two days enough?

Holice 02-06-2013 01:47 PM

Tale all 4 days if you can. It is a new show devoted to the Modern Quilt Movement. Therefore, it might be somewhat different than other quilt shows.

ktbb 02-06-2013 02:40 PM

when I attend quilt shows I find it better for me if I split my time viewing quilts - trying to do everything in one day is overwhelming. At the very least, I can hurry thru the whole show fast in a half day then come back the next day to spend time in the sections I want to look at more.

slicksister 02-06-2013 03:33 PM

Yes, it is QuiltCon not Quilt.con and it is the first sort of National Convention sponsored by the Modern Quilt Movement. It will be VERY different from the usual quilt show. If you like modern quilts, understand them and all that goes along with that you will like the show. http://themodernquiltguild.com/ Take a look at their website and see if this interests you. Personally, if I was going to be in Austin at that time I would do whatever it took to get to the show. Many traditional quilters don't like modern quilts at all.

Jan in VA 02-06-2013 04:35 PM

I wish there were not this division between quilters, that we could all just BE quilters, no matter our preference.

I don't do much applique; I no longer use homespuns; I rarely paper-piece; I went through a solids-only phase, then left it for years, then have come back to using them intermittently again; I don't hand piece, but I do hand or machine quilt the finished top; I use speed-piecing/strip-piecing methods and every easier-to-get-it-done tool at my disposal; I prefer cotton and wool battings, but have made quilts with polyester and bamboo, too; I like open/negative spaces in some of my quilts; I design most of the quilts I make; I've perfected my traditional block piecing, but also do curves occasionally; as I age I find I want to do easier piecing that showcases the beauty of the fabrics; I am now 68.

None of these things make me more of a "traditional" quilter or less of a "modern" quilter, I'm just a passionate quilter!:) I love all quilts, all colors, all designs, all sizes, most fabrics, and any quilter who makes an effort to join the club. Please don't reject me or leave me out of your "movement" as I want to be part of it all!

Jan in VA

greensleeves 02-07-2013 09:23 AM

Jan you are always the voice of reason and state so well what so many of us less fluent would like to say without any negative or biased tone. I enjoy modern quilts as well as many other types even though I might not do all types myself.

LyndaOH 02-07-2013 09:32 AM

Very well said, Jan! If I stuck with my taste from my first year of quilting my quilts would be really boring. I like to try everything and pick the things I like from each technique, genre, color palette, etc. Right now I'm in a bit of a scrappy mood; who knows what the next wave will bring?

I'd definitely want to check out QuiltCon if I was in the area, and I'd probably first sign up for any classes that interested me and then leave the rest of the time for the show and vendors. I've also found that when I look at classes I need to base my decision not on whether the quilt or theme interests me but if I can adapt the technique to projects I'm working on. For example, I'm taking an applique class with a well known "home decor" quilter. Her class calls for warm fall colors - very folksy. I don't have a big interest in that style right now, but I know I'll use her applique technique in a batik quilt I have planned. So off to class I go!

Enjoy the show - can't wait to hear how it is!

Delta 02-07-2013 11:18 AM

I hope to be going to that. we should wear name tags at to what state we are from lol. I am only going 1 day I am going to the lectures. have a wonderful time.