Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt frame learning curve or firewood? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-frame-learning-curve-firewood-t214382.html)

itsjess 02-20-2013 02:52 PM

Quilt frame learning curve or firewood?

Hi guys,
I just bought a Grace EZ frame, and we finally got it assembled after 2 days of me messing it up. Now that it's together, I can't use it, the dials to adjust the height and tilt aren't working for me and it's very uncomfortable to use. I hand piece and hand quilt, and I'm used to basting really well and just not using a frame. I wanted to try a frame to get it off my lap and have a more open area to try new quilting patterns. Is this a learning curve or should I just get DH to rush it out of the house asap? I'm really frustrated, I was so looking forward to this working out. :/

Hinterland 02-20-2013 03:34 PM

There's definitely a learning curve to quilting on a frame. I don't have a Grace frame so I can't address the dials on it, although I bet Grace would be more than happy to help you.

As for quilting on a frame, I was really discouraged at first. Then I taught myself to use my thumb to quilt away from myself. Now I really love my frame. However, if you're used to lap quilting, there may be more of a learning curve than even I had. Remember, the quilt does not have to be drum tight for you to quilt - I like having some slack in the quilt top.

If you are on Facebook, there is a group of devoted hand quilters there who are very helpful.

Janet

QuiltnNan 02-20-2013 03:40 PM

i don't have this frame, but wanted to say that i'm sorry hear that you are so frustrated with it. i have a hinterberg machine frame and recall that it was a bit difficult to use. i found it helpful to interact with others on the hinterberg yahoo group. perhaps there is a grace group you could search and join.

itsjess 02-20-2013 03:42 PM

Thank you, ladies, I will check out facebook for sure. I know my sister, who is not yet a quilter, is already volunteering to take it off my hands for me. haha.

calicoquilter 02-20-2013 03:54 PM

I was never able to get comfortable using my ez frame. I have always used a hoop and thought a frame would be better. I tried for awhile and gave up in frustration. I kept trying to pull the frame toward me like it was a hoop. I finally sold it and went back to my hoop.

Hinterland 02-20-2013 04:05 PM

The name of the group on Facebook is "Celebrate Hand Quilting." There's also a blog by the same name.

Janet

itsjess 02-21-2013 07:36 AM

I am on the blogger page, I didn't realize they had a facebook! Very cool! I'll try a pvp frame next, I think. I've tried a standing hoop but they fall over. ; ) Last night I threw my quilt over the backs of two dinner chairs (tall ones) and I quilted that way. I was so grumbly about the frame that my stitches came out beautifully for once!

OCquilter 02-21-2013 07:40 AM

I got a used Grace frame and haven't actually used it with a quilt attached. It was nice to throw a fairly large quilt over it while I was hand quilting. Took a lot of weight off my lap. I have to figure out how to extend it to queen size and may use it just to baste a quilt I have together.

dott443 02-21-2013 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by itsjess (Post 5876065)
Hi guys,
I just bought a Grace EZ frame, and we finally got it assembled after 2 days of me messing it up. Now that it's together, I can't use it, the dials to adjust the height and tilt aren't working for me and it's very uncomfortable to use. I hand piece and hand quilt, and I'm used to basting really well and just not using a frame. I wanted to try a frame to get it off my lap and have a more open area to try new quilting patterns. Is this a learning curve or should I just get DH to rush it out of the house asap? I'm really frustrated, I was so looking forward to this working out. :/

I hand quilt on an EZ frame, however I have found a different way of loading my quilts. First, you need to be sure and have leaders on your rollers. I have made different lengths from muslin but also bought some from Grace which I like better. I hand baste my quilt sandwich and then place the whole quilt on the back & front rollers. I hope this helps you, if not, PM me with any questions.