Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt hangers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-hangers-t79487.html)

shamrock 11-29-2010 10:40 AM

How does everyone hang quilts temporarily on their walls? I'm looking at those 3M hooks that use removeable tape when you want to take the hooks off. I have wallpaper that was just painted over last spring, don't want to mess it up.

craftybear 11-29-2010 10:43 AM

never used them, but will follow this thread

at the quilt shop they use the plastic thumb tacks to hang quilts on the wall

also I am thinking of getting a curtain rod to put at the top of the wall in my sewing room to hand quilts on by the sleeve to slide over the poles.

Also the same for a design wall idea, still trying to figure out what I want to use.

I am going to get a pull down blind and but spray adhesive on it with batting for a design wall also

Quilting Di 11-29-2010 10:49 AM

I used the "Hang Ups" system. Hung with 3 brackets, each having 2 3-M strips. This past Saturday tried to take down for winter decorating. I pulled the tabs straight down as instructed and they snapped off. To make a long story a little shorter, by the time the 3 brackets were off, I had torn the paper off the drywall in all 3 spots. So, now I am in the process of mudding, priming and painting the drywall, which is the only room in my whole house to have totally new drywall installed less than 5 years ago. To say the least, I would not recommend this system :thumbdown:

Sadiemae 11-29-2010 10:50 AM

I have been curious if the 3M would work also...

stewyscrewy 11-29-2010 10:56 AM

Did you notice on the tv comercial that the lady is removing them from a finished piece of paneling or something simular..

bailey 11-29-2010 07:17 PM

I use the 3M Command Strips with the hooks to hold up a 90" X 90" piece of flannel on the wall that I use for my design board. I have taken it down from one room and put it up in another when my son moved out. No marks were left at all. You would never know it was ever there. They work great for quilt tops but don't know if they would work for a finished quilt.

quilterella 11-30-2010 03:12 AM

If you install curtain rods, you can get metal circles with alligator clips on them at any hardware store and you can hang baby quilts to queen size finshed quilts this way. The only marks will be from installing the curtain rod hooks. It works great and is easy. BTW you do have to use the large round curtain rods, not the little cafe rods.

Moon Holiday 11-30-2010 04:43 AM

You would have to use the heavy duty 3M hooks and I'm not sure they'd still work on a large quilt. I tried some once on a wall hanging and the hooks I had on hand wouldn't hold the weight. I hang wall hangings on cafe curtain rods and whenever I give someone a wall hanging, I include the rod as part of the gift. I do have a large antique cathedral window quilt hanging on a large 3-inch dowel that is mounted on board with brackets, that my husband made.