Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Ideas... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-ideas-t48279.html)

Grammie Sharon 06-03-2010 06:18 PM

Can anyone give me some ideas on how to use these applique pieces in a quilt? My aunt gave me this "quilt" made from her aunt. She appliqued the pattern on a sheet. I would like to take them off and make them into a quilt. Does anyone have any idea on what to do as a pattern. There are 35 fans. I'm not sure if this is what these are called. They measure about 13 inches. I was thinking of putting them on 16" blocks with a sashing in between. Would you suggest a solid color for the squares or maybe a small 30s pattern. Any ideas would be appreciated.

amma 06-03-2010 06:25 PM

Do you have a picture we could look at?:D:D:D

Grammie Sharon 06-03-2010 06:32 PM

I'm trtying to get it downloaded. my computer won't cooperate.

craftybear 06-04-2010 05:50 AM

love to see a photo

littlehud 06-04-2010 09:00 AM

A pic would help.

Grammie Sharon 06-04-2010 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not sure why I couldn't get the picture to post last night but here it is. These are hand sewn onto a sheet. Thanks for any ideas.

picture of top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]79404[/ATTACH]

StitchinJoy 06-04-2010 04:00 PM

They are Dresden plates. The fabrics look like the Fifties or Sixties-- the browns, the foulards, the coin dots, the kooky fabric that looks like a buzz saw blade.

I like your idea of solid--maybe applique them on traditional white or white-on-white fabric, and applique some bright yellow circles for the centers?

There's a lot of blues, and they look solid. I bet you can find a nice solid Kona that will look good as sashing. If you want an updated look, pale blue or spa blue and brown is a trendy combination. If you want it wildly modern, go brighter, like black and yellow, or lime and cobalt. just play with colors nd see what you like best.

Please let us see when you finish.

JanetM 06-04-2010 04:00 PM

I think your idea of sewing them onto blocks and adding sashing is a good one. Because they are 13" in diameter, you might want an even larger block. 13" on top of a 16" block will give you a pretty narrow frame around each one. I would take try to find some scraps and lay a couple out to see how it looks.
As to what fabric to use for the blocks. You certainly can go with a solid, but you might want to look for a subtle small all over print that "reads" like a solid. I'm not real familiar with '30's fabrics so I don't know if they have small subtle prints.

Grammie Sharon 06-04-2010 04:21 PM

My husband has been bothering me to do something with this top. Yesterday he said he dreamed on how I could put it together and even drew it out. His suggestion was white and grays in sashing but I thought I wanted a little more color. WE noticed 3 coren pieces are the same. There are several solids but most of them are prints. Probably used clothing. I was thinking a white tone on tone to sew the blocks on and then a color for sashing. thanks for your ideas and for the name of the pattern.

humbird 06-04-2010 04:28 PM

It looks like there are 2 different size plates. Maybe enough for 2 quilts? I like the idea of yellow centers, and sashing would be nice. What ever you do. it will be lovely.