Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Journals (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-journals-t72125.html)

tellabella 10-24-2010 06:35 PM

Do any of you keep quilt journals?
I haven't started one yet but would like to know what others do...after finishing a quilt do you take a pic, keep fabric scrap, etc..?

isewhappy 10-24-2010 07:10 PM

I keep a note book with a copy of the pattern and have taken pictures of my quilts. The plan is to print out the picture and put it with the pattern.

SueDor 10-25-2010 02:33 AM

I have a journal. If there is a story behind the quilt I made I type that out. Who it is going to, when it was finished. I ake a picture of it and sometimes I do keep pieces of the material. Also the name of the pattern if it has a name.

ckcowl 10-25-2010 03:55 AM

i have a journal...in it i sketch layouts/plans, tell about the quilt...outline some processes, attach fabric swatches,batting choice; sometimes i add pictures as i go when there are new techniques involved...or i just want to remember how i went about doing something. the start and end dates...anything else that pertains to my making the quilt and then of course a finished picture and when possible a picture of the quilt with it's new owner.

Theresa 10-25-2010 03:57 AM

If I posted my quilt on the Quilting Board, I print up all the comments...they mean a lot to me!

Lots of neat ideas on a journal here. Thanks for the great ideas.

MaryAnna 10-25-2010 04:01 AM

Yes, I do....it's a wonderful way to remember what you've done, the fabric line you used and any 'funny' instances during the making of a particular quilt. And it helps you 'keep track' of what you've done and for whom.
Blessings,
MaryAnna

willowwind 10-25-2010 04:08 AM

I just started one a couple of weeks ago. I've been quilting for 10 years, started out doing art quilts (I paint) anyway, it occurred to me that I should keep better records of my work. I've done so many projects, took photos of them, then put them away-somewhere. I thought that if I collected them in a journal, it would be easier to find them when I needed a particular project photo & materials for reference. I try to include a photo of the whole quilt, a detail shot, scraps of fabrics used & notes about the quilt & its construction. Right now I'm behind in my entries & need to catch up -- or make fewer projects- like that will ever happen. I hope that helps.
Cathy S/Willowwind

pieces 10-25-2010 04:40 AM

I do keep a quilt journal, on my second one. Its just a spiral notebook like we used in school. I put the name of the quilt at the top and the date I started the quilt. I keep notes on the size I made the blocks, sashing, etc. The finished size of the quilt and the longarm quilter that quilted the quilt.
I don't keep track of charity quilts.
At the bottom of the page I write who the quilt went to, what
occasion, birth, Xmas, etc.
On the back of the page I include my graph paper design,
or printed pattern. I may add pieces of the fabric. And I include a picture of the finished quilt. I think its a good idea to keep a quilt journal. I have refrenced a pattern to see how a block was pieced. Happy Quilting :thumbup:

Tinabodina 10-25-2010 04:47 AM

I started taking pictures but I never really kept a journal. I didn't know what to put in it either. Thanks for the information.

CorgiNole 10-25-2010 07:32 AM

Mine is a work in progress, filled with works in progress. I need to catch it up.

I start with a basic set of statistics about the quilt (pattern, dates, materials), include scraps of the fabric and will include pictures as well once I print them. I've also put in the thank you note I received from one of the gift quilts.

Finally, I make notes to myself about what I learned from the quilt and anything new I might have tried.

Cheers, K