Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Kits and BOM's missing pieces, different fabrics..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-kits-boms-missing-pieces-different-fabrics-t72148.html)

Wings 10-24-2010 08:37 PM

I have been getting a BOM for a few months and decided to make up the first block today, and found all was not as it should be in the fabric pack. Has anyone else had problems with quilt kits or BOM's with fabrics being a different style from the photos, which drives you crazy working out which fabric is really which. Or with missing fabric, you count and count again and no it is not in the pack. Would love to know if this is a common problem or just once in a while.

ckcowl 10-25-2010 04:24 AM

some shops are better than others when putting their kits together for bom's and kits. i have participated in a couple monthly programs where i had to contact the shop for a missing piece of fabric, or a larger piece when i was shorted...and sometimes the shop will start a program and not have enough fabric from the beginning to complete all of the kits for the whole program and they will every couple months substitue these with others...if you want to participate in one that is going to use all of the same fabrics for the duration it is best to find the ones designed by the fabric designer, where the kits are put together commercially and not by individual quilt shops.
it is not always an issue, but mistakes do happen so contact the shop when you find a problem with your kit. sometimes the pattern itself can have errors too...one of the reasons to try to keep up with the program and do each block each month...if you save them and plan to do them all at once after the program has ended you could find you have a shortage or problem and it is too late to replace or get extra fabric. if a shop kind of specializes in these programs they tend to be better at cutting their kits (they get lots of practice) if the shop is new, just starting to try offering these programs sometimes they tend to be a little (stingy) with the fabrics and problems can come up.

MinnieKat 10-25-2010 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Wings
I have been getting a BOM for a few months and decided to make up the first block today, and found all was not as it should be in the fabric pack. Has anyone else had problems with quilt kits or BOM's with fabrics being a different style from the photos, which drives you crazy working out which fabric is really which. Or with missing fabric, you count and count again and no it is not in the pack. Would love to know if this is a common problem or just once in a while.

Yes, I have had this problem ... and yes it does drive me crazy!!!

misseva 10-25-2010 11:01 AM

i've only participated in two bom - one was from joanns (2.99 ea) and the other ($24.99/block plus cost of backing and corner blocks) from keepsake quilting. no problems at all. i'm still not finished with west of baltimore.

Wings 10-25-2010 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
some shops are better than others when putting their kits together for bom's and kits. i have participated in a couple monthly programs where i had to contact the shop for a missing piece of fabric, or a larger piece when i was shorted...and sometimes the shop will start a program and not have enough fabric from the beginning to complete all of the kits for the whole program and they will every couple months substitue these with others...if you want to participate in one that is going to use all of the same fabrics for the duration it is best to find the ones designed by the fabric designer, where the kits are put together commercially and not by individual quilt shops.

Yes, I had been saving them, and now realise this was not at all wise! I just want to enjoy making the quilt not feel that I need a degree to read what the fabrics are that have now been substituted for the originals in the photos! What was supposed to be pleasurable then turns into a nightmare. Your reply was well thought out. Thankyou all for replying.
it is not always an issue, but mistakes do happen so contact the shop when you find a problem with your kit. sometimes the pattern itself can have errors too...one of the reasons to try to keep up with the program and do each block each month...if you save them and plan to do them all at once after the program has ended you could find you have a shortage or problem and it is too late to replace or get extra fabric. if a shop kind of specializes in these programs they tend to be better at cutting their kits (they get lots of practice) if the shop is new, just starting to try offering these programs sometimes they tend to be a little (stingy) with the fabrics and problems can come up.

Wings 10-25-2010 11:11 AM

SORRY - my reply is appearing in the middle of CKCOWL's quote, I mussed that up a bit. My reply is what is appearing as the middle paragraph in the piece above. Ooops, only just got out of bed down under, need that second cup of coffee :]