Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Lessons (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-lessons-t206592.html)

Beeboop71 11-21-2012 06:30 AM

Quilt Lessons

Hello everyone. I was wondering if quilters can give me some information on what is a reasonable rate to charge to teach beginner quilt classes. I am interested in teaching beginners cut, piece, and then do basic quilting such as stitch in the ditch, shadowing, free motion stippling, etc. Does the size of the project affect the rate I should charge, for example I can teach how to make a lap quilt, tote bags, christmas stockings, etc. Also, do you rent your machine and supplies, etc. All help would be greatly appreciated.

PaperPrincess 11-21-2012 07:41 AM

Are you looking at private lessons, or group? Our LQS charges $25/hour for private lessons, you bring your own machine etc. Also, your LQS should offer lessons. You can divide the price by number of hours the class is long. Then decide what the minimum number of students would be.
Some folks rent their Long Arms, but I haven't heard of renting regular machines & other equip. I'll be curious to see what the replies to this are.

Beeboop71 11-21-2012 09:17 AM

Yes I was thinking private lessons as I do not have a lot of space. I have space for 2. I wasn't sure about supplies since I figure as a beginner they may not have the supplies or even a sewing machine.

dunster 11-21-2012 09:26 AM

The number of classroom hours and the expense of materials supplied should be the deciding factors for how much to charge. I think it is best if the student learns on her own machine, and uses her own supplies for the most part (rulers, mats, rotary cutters, etc.) with the teacher possibly supplying iron and ironing board. For semi-private lessons I would expect to pay more than for larger group lessons. I would also expect to pay more for a nationally recognized teacher with lots of teaching experience. Other than that, I think it comes down to how much people in your area are willing to pay and how much you need to charge to make it worthwhile to you.

Lori S 11-21-2012 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Beeboop71 (Post 5671794)
Yes I was thinking private lessons as I do not have a lot of space. I have space for 2. I wasn't sure about supplies since I figure as a beginner they may not have the supplies or even a sewing machine.

In my area for Semi - private lessons the rate is between $12.00 $15.00 per hour .. this is a class no larger than 3 . Private lessons are about $20.00 to $25.00 per hour in the teachers home.. more if teacher travels to your home. Now days ... with so much strange stuff.. people are reluctant to go to anyones home they do not know.

pyffer3 11-21-2012 12:22 PM

Oh boy! I sure wish someone in my area would give lessons. I am sure when I finish my first quilt (hopefully within the next 2 weeks) it will not look as good as I had pictured in my mind. I started kind of blindly and by the time I got on the internet to learn a thing or two it was too late and frustrating for me to start over. Can't you move to Mississippi? Terina

Knitette 11-21-2012 01:24 PM

Will you need to take out extra Homeowners insurance? I'm thinking about not only if they have an accident on your property (rotary cutters are sharp!), but if they damage something of yours.

Dolphyngyrl 11-21-2012 08:32 PM

It depends how many hours are the class. If it is like a day and goes 2-3 session I wouldn't charge less than 60-70 dollars per person. Most classes I have paid anywhere from 35-80 dollars depending on how long the class is. An all day class usually 35 but 2 session usually run more. It sounds like you will have multiple session so maybe you want to charge 30-35 per session

Dodie 11-23-2012 05:51 AM

our quilt shops and friends here are very nice to beginners most all shops have a free sewing day at least once a month some more often and they help a person understand a pattern then.the small towns has groups that meet in fire halls ---churches and or senior centers so guess we..are very fortunate to have all this open sewing at our finger tips

dsews2 11-23-2012 10:12 AM

My comment on renting machines for people.......if they plan to quilt they should definitely have their own sewing machine......what sewer doesn't have a sewing machine?