Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt names and Designers? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-names-designers-t220513.html)

quiltapillow 05-02-2013 06:02 AM

Quilt names and Designers?

I went to a Quilt Show where the quilts had the Owners name and the LAQ name and few pattern names. There were no patterns designers names on any quilts. Question- I thought in a Show the show tags were to have the pattern name and designers name, also? Is this a local option or should the pattern name and designer be listed?

mike'sgirl 05-02-2013 06:09 AM

I wouldn't think that the designer of the pattern should be listed. It's up to the quilt maker to write what she wants on the card. From what I understand, whatever you have created from a pattern is your work and you don't have to give credit to the pattern designer if you don't want to.

Scissor Queen 05-02-2013 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by quiltapillow (Post 6039485)
I went to a Quilt Show where the quilts had the Owners name and the LAQ name and few pattern names. There were no patterns designers names on any quilts. Question- I thought in a Show the show tags were to have the pattern name and designers name, also? Is this a local option or should the pattern name and designer be listed?

There's also a good chance that the quilts without a pattern name are original designs or they're blocks in the public domain and don't have a designer.

QuiltE 05-02-2013 06:26 AM

ditto to Scissor Queen, that it could be that the quilts are originals.

I do believe in credit given where credit is due ... so if you have a concern speak with the show organizers about it.

feline fanatic 05-02-2013 06:35 AM

It probably all depends on the form the organizer's used. Some ask for pattern and source and others don't. Like QuiltE, I believe in giving credit where credit is due. I will list pattern name and source of pattern if it isn't original. I have even gone so far that on a quilt I designed myself I credited "Inspired by" and listed the book where I got inspiration from.

QuiltE 05-02-2013 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 6039604)
It probably all depends on the form the organizer's used. Some ask for pattern and source and others don't. Like QuiltE, I believe in giving credit where credit is due. I will list pattern name and source of pattern if it isn't original. I have even gone so far that on a quilt I designed myself I credited "Inspired by" and listed the book where I got inspiration from.

ditto!
Inspired by ... Adapted from ... Based on ...

nativetexan 05-02-2013 07:07 AM

The only time I see pattern names is if the quilt is a Vendor display and they sell the patterns there. I'm thinking of going to a quilt show in Denver but need to try to call and see if they intend to have any quilts on display. The last show I went to, they had hung them ceiling height!! What a waste of my time.

ghostrider 05-02-2013 07:31 AM

While most shows now require a pattern designer's name (if any) and even a written release in many cases, that information is not generally made public in the display. Information revealed often depends on the size of the show too.

QuiltnNan 05-02-2013 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 6039604)
... I have even gone so far that on a quilt I designed myself I credited "Inspired by" and listed the book where I got inspiration from.

I try to do this as well. The person who was so creative does deserve some recognition.

quiltstringz 05-02-2013 09:15 AM

In the shows I have gone to I have only seen the makers and the quilters name on the labels.