Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   To quilt or not to quilt..that is the question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-not-quilt-question-t25859.html)

Moonpi 09-22-2009 06:45 AM

You are so ambitious! I think you have to be very careful about reading the batting description before tying - some have very different requirements. Good luck with it.

Rose Marie 09-22-2009 06:57 AM

Is there a longarm that will quilt that size?

Cathe 09-22-2009 07:36 AM

If you want fluffy and warm, A high loft (bonded) poly batting is your best choice, and in that case you will have to tie it.

I have been quilting for 24 years, and my adult sons still prefer a high-loft quilt. The second one loves his old "two sheets and a puffy batting tied together" quilt, and the youngest has a pieced duvet cover for his feather duvet. The oldest (30) has a regular quilt on his bed, but I think that is because his wife wants it.

As for regular "quilted" quilts... cotton quilts just aren't warm enough in our northern climate. Poly quilts are better, and I just made a wool blend one. I am hoping that one will be warmer.

MelissaK 09-22-2009 08:08 AM

I like to tie it b/c it stays fluffy! I tie baby quilts a lot. I would never quilt a Cal King on my little sewing machine. If I had a long arm, yes.... but sending that to a long arm would cost a fortune too. A Cal King in my house would end up tied.

Jannie 09-25-2009 11:21 AM

If you decide to tie, remember you need to use a square knot. If you are not sure what a square knot is, ask a boy scout. I have tied & quilted at different times. If you use the square knot, you won't have to worry about it coming apart. One quilt on my boy's bed lasted several years. I don't think quilting or tying will make the quilt warmer. I do know that the more you quilt the heavier & stiffer the quilt will become.

MadQuilter 09-25-2009 11:26 AM

I have tied a few quilts in the center of the main square as added support. The remainder of the quilt was done SID. I don't know how well a large quilt quilt will hold up in the wash if it is "just" tied.

k_jupiter 09-25-2009 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
Is there a longarm that will quilt that size?

Yes.

The tin lizzy will quilt that big if you get special 13 foot rails for it. Some people think you need a second midspan support. But it will do it. I have my TL set up with 7 foot rails, have the ten foot rails ready to go on when I am finished this practice quilt, and will soon be doing my QS quilts. There are no plans to do a KS or CA King.

tim in san jose

JCL in FL 09-27-2009 09:01 AM

I have tied several Trip Around the World quilts. They are made of small squares and have held up very well. I wanted the fluffy look also and I used a fat batt. I did not use embroidery floss. I used crewel yarn and did the X thing on each joint and then channeled between the material to the next junction that needed a tie. The crewel yarn is very strong and you only need one piece of it .You need one of those really long needles with a big eye. If you have any question PM me about it. I made my X very tiny and they can't be seen really. My son is still using one I made 20 years ago as a spare cover when we come to visit. It looks a bit shabby but it's still warm.