Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Patterns--help!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-patterns-help-t99207.html)

EasyPeezy 02-12-2011 10:26 PM

You could draw it on graph paper. Scale it to (for example) one square for
one inch and make it as big as you want your quilt to be. Make sense?
I do it all the time on spreadsheet but when it's on point I would probably
use graph paper.

Holice 02-12-2011 10:31 PM

add more blocks to make it the size you need.

k9dancer 02-12-2011 10:31 PM

Just a suggestion....make a small version of your quilt rather than jump into a king size as your first project. I have seen many beginners lose their confidence when tackling a large quilt so early on.

Lilrain 02-12-2011 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
use graph paper.

this would be my advice also unless you can find someone with an EQ program that can help you.

quilterella 02-13-2011 02:50 AM

I don't increase the block size, I increase the number of blocks. If a double asks for 30 blocks (5x6) and I want it larger, I go 8x9 making 72 blocks for the kingsize. I realize it sounds like alot more work, and it is. The other option is adding sashing between all your blocks,but, that tends to loose the effect of the pattern at times. This is just my method. Probably someone on here has an easier solution, so I'll be watching also.

eparys 02-13-2011 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by k9dancer
Just a suggestion....make a small version of your quilt rather than jump into a king size as your first project. I have seen many beginners lose their confidence when tackling a large quilt so early on.

I agree with k9dancer especially if this will be your first quilt.

That being said - I would increase the number of blocks in the quilt to alter the size. Just a reminder, however, once you increase the size of your quilt, your borders will be longer and need more fabric. Good Luck.

Sashing-Sarah709 02-13-2011 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
use graph paper.

Good idea. I'm going to play around with this. Thanks! :D

Sashing-Sarah709

gollytwo 02-13-2011 06:35 AM

Don't enlarge a block.
Look at the block size and figure out how many more will be needed to get to King-sized.
It may only be needed for width, quilt lengths are usually around 80" so if it's that or more on your pattern you'll just add blocks for width.
The other thing not to do is add additional borders - will ruin the design. Rest assured, had the designer wanted more borders, she'd have included them.

grumpy90650 02-13-2011 06:45 AM

the above suggestions to add a row, or blocks is the way to go...whenever i want to enlarge a quilt, i just another row, or two, to the side or bottoms, and yippee, there is a bigger quilt.........good luck with those two quilts, they are gorgeous.....gina

Theresa 02-13-2011 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by quilterella
I don't increase the block size, I increase the number of blocks. If a double asks for 30 blocks (5x6) and I want it larger, I go 8x9 making 72 blocks for the kingsize. I realize it sounds like alot more work, and it is. The other option is adding sashing between all your blocks,but, that tends to loose the effect of the pattern at times. This is just my method. Probably someone on here has an easier solution, so I'll be watching also.

My thoughts exactly.