Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt patterns- how do you organize ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-patterns-how-do-you-organize-t228128.html)

judy363905 08-17-2013 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 6239217)
Group them together, traditional, applique, wearables, kitchen, landscape, paperpiecing

This is how I "try" to keep mind also....sometimes I just put a favorite on the bottom and remember it is there. :)

Judy in Phx, AZ

sandy l 08-18-2013 02:53 AM

My patterns from online are sorted into different binders. Bonnie Hunter, PP, etc. Patterns that I have purchased are sorted into baskets on a shelf. PP, FQ, etc.

ube quilting 08-18-2013 04:00 AM

Binders work for me. I love to leaf through them and get ideas. Putting them in categories like baby, wall hangings, crafts like bags and book covers, and bed quilts. I don't sort the bed quilts into any more than that because any size quilt can be altered to fit any size wanted.

I have one binder for 'how to instructions' and one for quilting motifs that also come in magazines.

They are easy to keep and a ton of information can be at your finger tips in a very small space.
peace

ArtsyOne 08-18-2013 04:07 AM

I have three 3" binders with index tabs listing the categories: baby quilts, 3D quilts, House quilts, X-blocks, Bento Box, Modern, Flowers, Paper Piecing, Crafts and Miscellaneous Ideas. When I get ideas or jot down notes at quilt shows, I put them into the sheet protectors that have a bottom and two sides so that they don't fall out. Love to sit on my bed leafing through the binders for inspiration, a lot of which has come from the Pictures section on this board.

bjsmith57 08-18-2013 11:41 AM

I place them inside of a plastic protector sheet and place in a binder divided by the type of pattern.

laynak 08-18-2013 02:13 PM

My favorite patterns from magazines, I put in plastic protectors & file in a binder. Blocks, I have another binder for them plus a file folder for BOM's. I have another file folder for quilts I want to make, another folder for paper piecing and templates, and one of quilt photos I like (as well as computer files for favorite quilts from shows and free patterns that I file from online sources). Magazines, I dog ear any patterns I like till I get them filed in the binder, then I toss the magazine. Quilt books, I have filed in a bookcase in no definite order or I might just keep a book right with the fabric purchased to go with a pattern. Purchased patterns, same thing, I keep them with the fabrics to be used or file them in the bookcase.

NOELLA 08-19-2013 05:32 AM

I put mine in plastic sleeves than in binders , arrange according to catagory and tags each catagory.

sheepla 08-19-2013 07:10 AM

i scan mine into evenote. I have a Quilting notebook in Evernote and can web grab articles I like and also have all the quilt patterns in there. Very much reduced clutter.

ktbb 08-19-2013 07:35 AM

I like to be able to flip thru binders for ideas so I make a copy of the front of the pattern, or print out the first page of an E-pattern, then put that in the binder. the actual patterns I put in boxes or leave on my computer/kindle. As far as the organization and being able to find them, I sort them by type (Q for quilt, W for wearable art, A for accessories including purses, etc) and mark that on the copy in the binder and, if necessary, on the pattern itself. If it's an E pattern I also mark that on the binder copy. I then store the patterns in that category in boxes that are marked. That way I can look thru the binder as I want to, I know exactly what I have and can pull out the right box to find the one I want.

SusanSusan33 08-19-2013 11:14 AM

I have them in a binde, sorted by categories. I keep them in plastic page protectors and keep on pattern in each protector, even if it has multiple pages. Makes it easier to store and takes up less space. :)