Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-problem-t4835.html)

Barb M 02-29-2008 01:53 PM

Yes, the gold squares were just laid down in this photo. I tried laying out green, and looked even more christmassy, so i sewed in navy squares where the gold ones are. I am very curious about the tea dying idea though, would love to know more about it. Maybe i will google and get some ideas too. All your ideas are sooo helpful!

Barb M 02-29-2008 02:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I did some googling on tea dying. It says that if i press the fabric with a hot iron after, that will set the dye. So this maybe looks like a great idea, i think i will try some tea dying on some scrap fabrics, and see what i think of it :)
Here are two quilts i just found online, one is tea dyed, the other is not, and i think it looks good, and i think you're right Yvonne, it wouldn't effect my darker colours, i will def try this with some scraps later

prairiegirl 02-29-2008 04:06 PM

Like Yvonne, I need to put out a disclaimer - I'm not a expert.LOL

But, my first thought was to tea dye the quilt top. I'm currently working on a star swap and the idea is to have it look antique/old. Some have tea dyed all the fabric.
I dyed some muslin the other day and would like to share something I learned. I should have thought of this beforehand, but.........
I used hard water to brew the tea and you know how a film forms on top? Well, that left dark marks on the fabric. I will get this floating in my teacup too if I don't use the softened water. Next time I will use soft water to avoid this. Just my thoughts........

BTW, you do beautiful work. I really like the star blocks.

BDor 02-29-2008 07:10 PM

My first thought was--tea dye. I have done several things with tea dying and have been very pleased with the result. If you iron it the color last.

Barb M 02-29-2008 07:16 PM

Wow, im so happy with all the advice, and yes, i have soft water where i am, so that will be safe.

Bernadette Harwood 03-01-2008 08:17 PM

I think tea dying would be an excellent choice. I don't think it looks Christmassy but I do think it is too white for me. I've never tried tea dying but let it dry and iron it and it will last for years. You have a beautiful quilt and know they will love it.

luckylolo 03-03-2008 08:18 AM

It is a lovely quilt! Have you thought about quilting the white areas with contrasting/complimentary thread? I think that would solve your problem without making it look like you've added something else to solve a problem. I speak from experience.......just yesterday I had a quilt returned to me...one that I hated when I sent it to the quilter. It had too large of a contrast in color in several areas of the quilt. The quilter made that quilt into a gorgeous work of art by using contrasting/complimentary thread in the large 'ugly' areas. I wish you could see my quilt now!!