Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Retreat Starts Tomorrow - what shouldn't I forget (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-retreat-starts-tomorrow-what-shouldnt-i-forget-t28202.html)

Missi 11-05-2009 10:28 AM

Leslie I think you have the best idea!!!!

I recently traded my car for a small SUV I am thinking this will be a good thing as my list keeps growing :)

Tiffany 11-05-2009 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by CRH
When going to classes (or in this case, retreat) I iron a piece of light fabric to freezer paper to collect the autograph of the ?famous? person that is giving the class. Could also be used to collect the signatures of everyone at the retreat for happy memories.

ARGH!!!! This is a fantastic idea. I just wish I'd thought of it. My quilt retreat was a couple weeks ago and I would have loved to have done something like this. I'm definitely going to have to do it next year. Thanks for the idea!

Yes, make sure not to forget your sewing machine foot and plugs. :roll: Trust me, the retreat goes much better when you can plug your machine in. I learned that at my first retreat. I also forgot all my bedding. Thankfully we were only about an hour out of town so it wasn't a total loss, just embarrassing. That was five years ago and you wouldn't believe how many people still remember it & have to bring it up at every retreat meeting. :P

I know it isn't conventional but if you are the type of person who takes naps or goes to bed early, you may also want to bring a pair of earplugs and/or a sleep mask. This way, if you room with others, you won't be disturbed if the lights are on or people are making noise. I don't know how your retreat is set up but we do ours in a lodge, which means most of the gals sleep in one big room and sometimes it can be hard to sleep. Especially with all the ladies who snore! I think it must be a requirement that in order to be a quilter you must also snore. :lol:

Bluphrog 11-05-2009 01:02 PM

I think it must be a requirement that in order to be a quilter you must also snore.
Guilty as charged! <LOL>

Depending on how far you need to cart your stuff from the car to the room, I'd suggest packing as much as possible in wheeled containers. I packed all my projects into a rolling duffle. And I packed my clothes and toiletries in a wheeled suitcase.

Also, I have a large rolling scrapbooking case that I turned into my portable sewing room. If I buy a tool to use in my sewing room, I buy another for the case. My travel / class sewing machine, iron, pad, rulers, mat, cutters, scissors, threads, markers, fan, extension cord, etc. live in the case and only see the light of day when I'm away from home.

Missi 11-05-2009 02:25 PM

projects are already loaded in my big suitcase with wheels :-)

bebe 11-05-2009 02:40 PM

extra sewing machine needles, rulers of different sizes, tape measures, plenty of pins, camera, extra rotary blade, 2 prs of scissors, paper, thread , marking pencil. Most of all lots of energy in order to have plenty of fun!!!!!!,

Enjoy :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

mpspeedy 11-05-2009 03:09 PM

Hi, I agree with Gayle. No one in my family has a butt. Since I have an autoimmune disease that took the little bit of muscle I had in that area I have trouble sitting on any hard surface. I always pack one of those blow up rings as well as a pillow to use on a metal folding chair. I also take a plastic box meant to hold small parts etc. that brings my non sewing foot up to the same level as the foot pedal so my legs are alligned. It really helps when participating in a sewing marathon.

I am going on retreat starting next thursday through sunday. I don't have a thing packed yet.

Have a blast and be sure and take your favorite snack.

Lacelady 11-05-2009 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Missi
Leslie I think you have the best idea!!!!

I recently traded my car for a small SUV I am thinking this will be a good thing as my list keeps growing :)

Ask me how I know, Missi? I went with a friend to a one day workshop as part of our holiday to the south east of Ireland (we live in the north west). So we had all the normal holiday luggage, plus supplies as we had booked a self catering holiday home to stay in, then we had all the workshop stuff x 2. My car was stuffed to capacity.

cabbagepatchkid 11-05-2009 03:42 PM

Wow, I've never been on a quilting retreat but it sounds like a lot of fun!! I hope you have a great time! What project are you working on?

Missi 11-05-2009 08:44 PM

Well I was gonna work on my mom's x-mas present but that went snafu when 2 of my FQ were short. So I have arag quilt all cut just need 2 X the squares n sew it up. I also have a baby rag quilt all cut except I have 2 change my layout. I almost finished cutting my Paris Cats fabric for the sweet 16 pattern - queen size. I am also taking my Downy quilt 4 kids fabric. And I threw in some fabric and a pattern I bought last year. But I don't know if that is enough so I am gonna thrown in something else I think :) I can't run out of things 2 do! I have 52 hours of quilting sleeping and eating what could be better than that except maybe 72 hours. But then who would feed the cat at home :)

Missi 11-05-2009 08:44 PM

Well I was gonna work on my mom's x-mas present but that went snafu when 2 of my FQ were short. So I have arag quilt all cut just need 2 X the squares n sew it up. I also have a baby rag quilt all cut except I have 2 change my layout. I almost finished cutting my Paris Cats fabric for the sweet 16 pattern - queen size. I am also taking my Downy quilt 4 kids fabric. And I threw in some fabric and a pattern I bought last year. But I don't know if that is enough so I am gonna thrown in something else I think :) I can't run out of things 2 do! I have 52 hours of quilting sleeping and eating what could be better than that except maybe 72 hours. But then who would feed the cat at home :)