Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Shops have personalities, too! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-shops-have-personalities-too-t220755.html)

kheliwud 05-05-2013 07:39 AM

Quilt Shops have personalities, too!

I often travel for work and one of the things I do when planning a trip is to research the LQS in the towns I visit. I recently got to visit the Cotton Cupboard in Bangor, Maine. I had been by there several times since it is near the airport, and finally got to stop in on Friday. What a wonderful shop! Great variety of fabrics, books and notions! And Gracie, the Boston Terrier is a doll!
Another LQS I like is the City Quilter in New York City. Such a neat "local" quilt shop in Manhattan, I always make time to get a visit. Any of you have recommendations in towns you visit?

Nammie to 7 05-05-2013 08:20 AM

I love quilt shops with character - in my area we have a shop called the Bake Shop - it is in an old bakery - the oven is still in the wall - fat quarters are stored in old bread tins. I like shops with lots of samples hanging. Thimble Cottage, Fabric City, and Quiltiques here in South Dakota are all unique shops and each offers a different flavor!

MartiMorga 05-05-2013 08:23 AM

I haven't stopped at many when traveling, but I told my husband on our last trip that this was going to have to change, lol. He said he didn't know I would have wanted to stop at a fabric store.....?????....I just gave him that look.

RedGarnet222 05-05-2013 08:28 AM

My favorite to visit out of town is Piecemakers in costa mesa, California. What a fun group of gals that work there and I love their calendar. I have a stack of them from years past and love to thumb though them occasionally just to remember the times my sisters and I spent there.

Here in town I love the windy moon quilt shop. It isn't in the greatest part of town, but, the staff is well informed and are willing to take time with you to help if need be. The patterns and rulers are always my favorite parts of the store and they are very well stocked.

sewmary 05-05-2013 08:48 AM

I travel to PA - the Lancaster county area. In fact am going this week. I always leave time and suitcase room for Old Country Store in Intercourse. Love the museum, the lovely quilts for sale, and the fabric.

dd 05-05-2013 08:50 AM

We have Wilson's in Hagerstown, MD, http://www.iluv2quilt.com/ . It's billed the prettiest quilt shop in western Maryland. It's Mennonite owned and operated. Just a really nice place to visit.

bearisgray 05-05-2013 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by MartiMorga (Post 6045759)
I haven't stopped at many when traveling, but I told my husband on our last trip that this was going to have to change, lol. He said he didn't know I would have wanted to stop at a fabric store.....?????....I just gave him that look.

Mine is like that, too. "Oh, you wanted to stop there?" (as we are going past it) "You should have said something!"

This is a man that can spot an eagle that looks like about 1/8 inch big to me while driving and 'misses' garage sale signs.

Quilts on Plum Lane in Dade City, Florida is a nice shop - the people that work there are great!

dd 05-05-2013 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 6045831)
Mine is like that, too. "Oh, you wanted to stop there?" (as we are going past it) "You should have said something!"

This is a man that can spot an eagle that looks like about 1/8 inch big to me while driving and 'misses' garage sale signs.

Quilts on Plum Lane in Dade City, Florida is a nice shop - the people that work there are great!

You must be married to my husband's twin.lol

slicksister 05-05-2013 09:23 AM

Fabrics Etc and Fourth Corner Quilts in Bellingham, WA are both wonderful with different personalities. My son lives there and I love going to them when I visit.

JustAbitCrazy 05-05-2013 10:12 AM

There's a great place in NC called MaryJo's (I think). It's huge and the prices are nice, too.