Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Shows: Kit or original (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-shows-kit-original-t211852.html)

QM 01-25-2013 09:42 PM

I agree with you completely.

SmickChick 01-26-2013 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 5812255)
Thats why they have different categories LAQ, machine quilted, applique, pictorial

...but in "in my area" they don't have a category for kits and a category for original design. Take whatever category you wish to put a Baltimore Album. They don't have a Kit Baltimore Album category and an Original Baltimore Album category.

I agree this category has gotten rather harsh! tsk! tsp!

Maggiem 01-26-2013 10:30 AM

I agree that some of the responses here are quite harsh. For example, some of Jinny Beyer's designs and kits are incredibly difficult to do accurately, requiring quite a bit of skill. Her designs tempt me and I know I need her fabrics to carry them out...so why not buy the pattern and the necessary fabric together? Which means, buy the kit...then try to get the matches right and the points pretty!

Skittl1321 01-26-2013 11:17 AM

All the shows I've seen require you to disclose if you use a pattern. I've never seen anything to ask if it was a kit or a pattern, but they do want to know if it wasn't all your original work.

BellaBoo 01-26-2013 12:14 PM

The judges have their own guidelines and that's their business and the business of the entrants to go by the rules. As a quilt show goer, the only requirement I like to see listed is if there is a pattern for the quilt. If I like it, I want to make one too!

ghostrider 01-26-2013 02:47 PM

I know an NQA certified judge who recused herself from judging a quilt that she knew to be a kit. The judge herself had designed the quilt, had selected the fabrics and had sold the kit...no way was she going to judge it! She did NOT tell the other two judges until AFTER the judging was completed.

This was at a show that, because of copyright concerns, requires you to have written permission from the designer of any quilt you enter that is not your original work...something that is more and more common for shows and even competitive challenges such as the Keepsake Quilting challenges.

TanyaL 01-26-2013 03:55 PM

[QUOTE=.

This was at a show that, because of copyright concerns, requires you to have written permission from the designer of any quilt you enter that is not your original work...something that is more and more common for shows and even competitive challenges such as the Keepsake Quilting challenges.[/QUOTE]

This seems to be to a step is the right direction. To not have this permission, and to enter a kit without acknowledging the designing is similar to entering a copy of the Mona Lisa in an Art Show. No matter how well it is copied, it isn't an original and shouldn't try to pass for one. Neither should a kit quilt. There is more to making a quilt than good sewing.

MargaretH 01-26-2013 04:22 PM

I agree with you. I am just proud of what I finish and want to share. Not be judged by the quilt police

Skittl1321 02-11-2013 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by MargaretH (Post 5815798)
I agree with you. I am just proud of what I finish and want to share. Not be judged by the quilt police

If people don't want their quilts judged, it would be best to not enter them into judged shows! Those of us who enter judged shows would be pretty upset if they weren't judged- what did we pay that entry fee for?? :) :)