Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt sizes? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-sizes-t199794.html)

Tashana 09-07-2012 05:10 AM

Quilt sizes?

I have a small problem when it comes to quilt sizes and therefore all my quilts are 60"x80". King and queen are self explanatory, but I wold really appreciate if you can tell me what are average sizes of lap quilt, individual quilt and a throw. I have to make a quilt for a friend that she would use either around her shoulders or on her lap when she sits on the porch in the cooler evenings in the spring and fall. All advice I can get is highly appreciated.

debquilts2 09-07-2012 05:22 AM

http://bcquilter.wordpress.com/quilt...n-quilt-sizes/
Hope this helps

ckcowl 09-07-2012 06:09 AM

a number of 'ranges' are used but basically:
baby- 36"-45" x 36"-52"
crib- 30"-36" x 46"-50"
bunk 66"x 80"
wheelchair lap- 38"x48"
lap- 52-68" x 52-78"
twin- 64-72" x 86-90"
full 70-80" x 88-100"
sizes are often (customized) according to the size of the person who will be using it- such as - my oldest son is 6'4" so i make his (snuggle quilts) really long!
my middle neice is 4' 9" so i make her's shorter than (normal)
you might look at batting packages too to help determine sizes

willferg 09-07-2012 07:10 AM

I like to use fleece as a backing because it's warm and soft, so I base everything on the 60" width. I shoot for anywhere from 45" to 58" in width to 60" to 72" (two yards of fleece) in length.

dunster 09-07-2012 07:15 AM

For a bed quilt, you can either make a generic size or you can find out the specifics of how and where the quilt will be used. Does the bed have a footboard, and do you want the quilt to be tucked behind it, or just come to the edge? How deep are the mattress and the box springs, and do you want the quilt to cover the box springs as well as the mattress? Do you want a pillow tuck at the top? All of these can affect the size of the quilt, and so there's no "normal" size for a bed quilt. For any other quilt, I agree with ckcowl - customize it to the size of the recipient. If in doubt, make it larger. A quilt that is too large is better than one that's too small, IMHO.

AliKat 09-07-2012 12:24 PM

I make my nap quilts for each individual. That way i can consider the recipient's girth as well as length.

ali

QuiltnLady1 09-07-2012 07:10 PM

For my MIL, I measured her to see how big I wanted to make her lap quilts -- I want to make a shrug, but she is so very tiny now that I can't find a pattern. She has shawls, but is not happy with them.

Tashana 09-07-2012 07:29 PM

Thank you all very much for giving me such a wealth of information. This is my first quilt to be given to somebody outside my family so I want it to be just righ. Also it will be my first Bargello-like quilt. Wish me luck that what is in my head actually transfers well to the quilt.

GrannieAnnie 09-07-2012 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tashana (Post 5496990)
I have a small problem when it comes to quilt sizes and therefore all my quilts are 60"x80". King and queen are self explanatory, but I wold really appreciate if you can tell me what are average sizes of lap quilt, individual quilt and a throw. I have to make a quilt for a friend that she would use either around her shoulders or on her lap when she sits on the porch in the cooler evenings in the spring and fall. All advice I can get is highly appreciated.

You didn't ask about baby quilts but I stay close to 45 x 60.

For personal sized quilts, I do about 80" long then 54 to 60 wide. For kids (not babies) I do about 45-50 x 72. I test drive what I make. I want something that will cover my feet (actually that I can tuck under my feet) and pull up to my chin. So, I assume others would want the same thing.

I made a really cute "ship" quilt that I ended up keeping for myself and it's about 45 x 45------------and it's worthless, IMO. Will cover my feet and knees-------------if I don't breathe.

GrannieAnnie 09-07-2012 09:12 PM

Should have added------------the 60 x 80 that you are making would be ideal for me! And I think, for others.