Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt top pricing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-top-pricing-t211113.html)

Kath12 01-16-2013 08:26 AM

Quilt top pricing

I have been asked to piece together a quilt using blocks started by her mother 50 plus years ago. It is an eight pointed star that is hand pieced. I need to add the background fabric and piece enough of the blocks to make this quilt queen size. I have no idea as to how much to charge her. I have the top drafted out and plan on just charging her for the top and leave it up to her to have it long-armed quilted. Then I will bind it for her. Does anyone have any advise as to how much I should charge?

PaperPrincess 01-16-2013 08:43 AM

Don't under value yourself! If you don't have an estimate of the hours involved, I would cut a similar star out of some of your own scrap fabric and see how long it takes to do one. Multiply that by the number of blocks you have to piece, then add a couple hours for adding the background/border. You are a skilled craftsperson who should be charging at least minimum wage!

Milli 01-16-2013 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 5790278)
Don't under value yourself! If you don't have an estimate of the hours involved, I would cut a similar star out of some of your own scrap fabric and see how long it takes to do one. Multiply that by the number of blocks you have to piece, then add a couple hours for adding the background/border. You are a skilled craftsperson who should be charging at least minimum wage!

W​hat she said!

rush88888 01-17-2013 02:23 AM

AND have her sign a contract stating what you will do and what she is responsible for...get some of the money before you start (to purchase fabric and some of the labor)...get her approval on the colors you will be using, including the layout of the quilt. there may be other factors that you should include. maybe someone else can come up with more.

117becca 01-17-2013 02:47 AM

I would also get half money up front, or set up payments of some point. If you wait for payment upon completion, then you might get short-changed.

Sandygirl 01-17-2013 04:17 AM

Get $$ up front. Otherwise you will likely get burned. she needs to commit to this project with her wallet. we hear the stories over and over on the Board.

This could be more trouble than it is worth. Esp if using partially finished blocs.. It will take longer than making blocks from scratch. I did this ONCE. Never again. Or unless $500 or more minimum. IMHO.
Sandy

Dragonomine 01-17-2013 04:58 AM

No matter what you charge it will never be worth all the time you dedicate to it. That's why I never sell them. I either keep them for myself or give them away. It's kind of you to finish the quilt though. When my grandmother passed away I was given all her unfinished quilt squares. I was able to finish 2 quilts. One for my dad and another for my son. They treasure them.