Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt using cheerleading uniforms. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-using-cheerleading-uniforms-t168765.html)

sereneohio 11-17-2011 06:44 PM

Quilt using cheerleading uniforms.

A friend needs a quilt made using her daughter's cheerleading uniforms. Has anyone tried this? How do you handle the fabric? Need ideas. Thanks.

Prism99 11-17-2011 09:15 PM

What kind of fabric are the daughter's cheerleading uniforms made of? If the fabric is stretchy, she will probably need to stabilize it before cutting squares (or other shapes). If there are logos, those will need to be fussy cut. The first step would be to take the uniforms apart so the fabric can be ironed flat. If stabilizer is needed, that's when it would be ironed on. Then the pieces would be cut. If the fabric is stretchy, it would be similar to making a t-shirt quilt and there are books available on that, plus info online. Usually that type of quilt is made in blocks with sashing. There was a fabulous quilt photo here of a t-shirt quilt made with "shadow" sashing; that would be a nice touch if your friend is up to it. I'm not sure I still have the link to that photo.

BETTY62 11-17-2011 09:17 PM

Wow. I haven't seen one made from the cheerleaders uniforms but I bet it wil be special. Pease post it when completed.

joycecil 11-17-2011 09:50 PM

Can't wait to see it.

Peckish 11-17-2011 10:18 PM

Hmmm, this could be interesting. I used to work for a cheerleading uniform manufacturer. The skirts and shells were poly, and the sweaters were acrylic. Is this what you will be working with?

Jim 11-17-2011 10:53 PM

any fabric can be used...I use all types in memory quilts...make sure to stabilize stretchy fabrics

emsgranny 11-18-2011 12:41 AM

I would for sure use stabilizer - I have never done one like this but have talked with machine quilter who has and says the fabrics really stretch when put on long arm and can make the quilt wonky!! cant wait to see it!!!

QuiltnNan 11-18-2011 06:05 AM

i don't have any new suggestions from what was posted before me, but i wish you luck for a great outcome. be sure to post a pic so we can call see :)

sereneohio 11-18-2011 01:07 PM

Thanks for replies.

I have seen the big box of uniforms from 4 years of cheerleading. You are right, they are stretchy, acrylic, or nylon. I am thinking it will need to be done on my regular sewing machine instead of a long arm. May not be attempted till next Spring.

ckcowl 11-18-2011 01:28 PM

create a background- then applique the uniform to the top. wish i had a picture of my granddaughter's handy- but i don't- it's not difficult though
i made a football field for the background- green- white lines- goal posts- then the uniform is kind of slanted on top of the field= and a raggy style pompom...as in i used flannels layers- with a muslin base in the school colors- stitched 1/2" channels- cut between them- (chinnelled sp) and appliqued that next to the uniform